BananaMonkey

Being irritated by people as a reflection of oneself

Hey folks,

you're probably familiar with the idea of the things most irritating to someone being reflections of their own (unconscious) view of themselves. I'd like you to share some insights you had about yourself pertaining to this concept.

I myself for example used to have a deprecating image of people who obviously are wealthy, i.e. drive an expensive car, live in a big house and so on. After a while I realised that I had beliefs about money and wealth as being incompatible with goodness, spirituality etc.. Then, after reading something about and intellectually understanding the aforementioned concept, I started consciously challenging my view of this and met some really nice, wealthy people. For example, I used to work as a bike messenger and delivered urgent letters and packages to sometimes pretty rich people while I myself was wearing shabby clothes, being sweaty and often had mud on my face. When some of them gave me generous tips and made a kind impression, my view changed considerably.

In addition to this, I read about many wealthy people doing altruistic things and spiritual leaders often being quite well-off. Now, I'm not talking about the self-indulgent Guru types here, but of those who for example wrote books and earned a lot which they channelled into their charitable work. Now I no longer think of money as something inherently evil or egoistic but a neutral kind of tool that can be used for good as well as for immoral purposes.

Looking forward to your input :)

i am generally annoyed by "revolutionary" types, probably due to my own perception of being powerless

i am annoyed by loud un-mindful people because i am scared of being viewed as one

When you see a worthy person, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy person, then examine your inner self. quote-close.jpgConfucius

Probably the best course of action.

We cannot expect to go through life without coming into contact with those who annoy us. To what extent we allow that annoyance to effect us is something we can learn to control.

• Like 2

"learn to control" is a little cold when it comes to talking to your friends. i would rather break off a friendship with someone than not care about their ideas

Now I no longer think of money as something inherently evil or egoistic but a neutral kind of tool that can be used for good as well as for immoral purposes.

Looking forward to your input :)

Well, I think you have done good with that one.

When I encounter people who annoy me, I usually know very well why, because my self-analysis is like a constant realtime process. I then can decide whether it's something I want to change in me or something I don't want to change. The latter is usually the case when I see what kind of issue is at work in the other person, which becomes quite easy to identify when someone loses self-control.

Trying to be loved by everyone might not be compatible with your destiny.

When I have an unpleasant encounter, I usually give them all I have in terms of insight and inspiration, and then the ball is in their field. It's then not so much about trying to be liked by them, but it's their decision whether they want to improve their relationship with me or continue the same way.

Although if people go nuts beyond a certain point, they're usually in way too deep to see light.

I'm not interested in that kind of company.

People are much less likely to annoy you if you don't want anything from them.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 2

"The Teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind." Khalil Gibran

• Like 2

"The Teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind." Khalil Gibran

I need remember that!

Sorry I don't agree with gilbran

It just as well describes rubbing ones nose in a pile of poop as it might enlighten.

A wise teacher guides for himself as much as for the student, merely providing scenarios that the student can understand on his own, and providing encouragement or endorsement of the solutions which he has come to understand are expedient to the development of said student.

Being irritated at someone else doesn't neccesarily mean that you share in an excess of the same trait (which you dissapprove of) you could be irritated because they have not mastered the supposed flaw ,that you overcame ,and you want them to.