stefos

The Skeptical "Buddhist"...Critical thinking & Buddhism..

Even in the predominantly Theravadin countries, according to Dr. Wapola Rahula, there are those who take vows to become buddhas:

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha126.htm

"In the 12th Century AD., in Myanmar (a strictly Theravada country), King Alaungsithu of Pagan, after building Shwegugyi Temple, set up an inscription in Pali verse to record this act of piety in which he publicly declared his resolution to become a Buddha and not a Sravaka.

In Sri Lanka, in the 10th Century, King Mahinda IV (956-972 AD.) in an inscription proclaimed that "none but the Bodhisattvas would become kings of Sri Lanka (Ceylon)". Thus it was believed that kings of Sri Lanka were Bodhisattvas.

A Thera named Maha-Tipitaka Culabhaya who wrote the Milinda-Tika (about the 12th Century AD.) in the Theravada tradition of the Mahavihara at Anuradhapura, says at the end of the book in the colophon that he aspires to become a Buddha: Buddho Bhaveyyam "May I become a Buddha," which means that this author is a Bodhisattva.

We come across at the end of some palm leaf manuscripts of Buddhist texts in Sri Lanka the names of even a few copyists who have recorded their wish to become Buddhas, and they too are to be considered as Bodhisattvas. At the end of a religious ceremony or an act of piety, the bhikkhu who gives benedictions, usually admonishes the congregation to make a resolution to attain Nirvana by realising one of the three Bodhis - Sravakabodhi, Pratyekabodhi or Samyaksambodhi - as they wish according to their capacity."

I don't think there was ever this polarizing attitude (between what we now refer to as "Hinayana" and "Mahayana") in Medieval India, especially if we take into account the curriculum's of the monastic universities such as Nalanda: where Hinayana and Mahayana were taught together.

In Mahayana Buddhism [using this as an umbrella term] all the lower vehicles build off of each other and culminate into the buddha vehicle which encompasses the rest. From the perspective of the buddha vehicle: they're all just means to mature sentient beings, of differing capacities, to the state of buddhahood.

Look brother,

I don't really know why you posted this...........I'm not elevating Sri Lanka above any other Theravadin "nationality", be they Thai or Burmese or wherever else they may be found. I'm interested in Theravadin teachings & perspective at this point in time.

I choose not to participate in this discussion anymore.

I will examine things further & come to my own conclusions.

Thank you for posting & for your kindness!

Stefos

Look brother,

I don't really know why you posted this..........

It was my opinion, that the polarized sectarianism that Theravada shows towards Mahayana, is arbitrary when considering the above.

It was my opinion, that the polarized sectarianism that Theravada shows towards Mahayana, is arbitrary when considering the above.

Thank you.

I still need to speak with a Theravada monk! One should not be ignorant (Referring to myself) of the most ancient expression of Buddhism around. Let's see what they say.

Stefos

Thank you.

I still need to speak with a Theravada monk! One should not be ignorant (Referring to myself) of the most ancient expression of Buddhism around. Let's see what they say.

Stefos

Why not talk to a Vajrayana master?

Why not talk to a Vajrayana master?

I will....Thank you! That is a wonderful idea! :)

There is a Drikung Kagyu Lama that I'm aware of.......In Massachusetts.

I will call him & talk with him regarding Mahamudra, Dzogchen & Jhanic states!

Be well,

Stefos

I will....Thank you! That is a wonderful idea! :)

There is a Drikung Kagyu Lama that I'm aware of.......In Massachusetts.

I will call him & talk with him regarding Mahamudra, Dzogchen & Jhanic states!

Be well,

Stefos

Hi Stefos,

Please share with us what you learn.

Best wishes,

Jeff