Sign in to follow this  
Gnu Mind?

Hello

Hi All,

I'm a 60+ year old philosophy professor in the USA. Long ago I specialized in Greek philosophy, but came to view Asian views both as complementary to western thought in ways that are really useful, and as more interesting too. Of course I'm very much caught up in the paradox of trying to grasp something using language (for purposes of teaching) that cannot be grasped using language, but try to keep a sense of humor about this :-).

I guess I've always been a Taoist at heart. I've used the I Ching for 40 years, with results that still surprise me.

It is great to find this forum. I look forward to learning from you all.

GM

Wecome GM,

believe there's a lot on here that'll interest you Philosophy wise & more.

Look forward to reading your take on things.

Basher

Yeah

that seems like an interesting perspective Id like to hear.

I hope you choose to do some posting

I believe that the very fact we're bound to use language to "explain" something that cannot be exactly contained by language is just another perfect example of the Tao's relativism and duality. through the knowledge of how difficult it is to explain it, we can appreciate just how simple it is, at least that's how it was for me; I had to let go of traditional conceptual understanding to even grasp at the void.

Even as I type this I realize just how contradictory it is to what I truly understand (or think I understand) about Taoism.

Sign in to follow this