Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

autistic hug machine?

I am not familiar with it, but I have a nephew who is autistic. I am going to a benefit for his autistic school this weekend. I will ask around about it and see if anyone has any experience.

Best regards, Jeff

what form of autism?

have you tried teaching him something like tai chi? I find that helps me with stimulus overloads.

I have forgotten the name of the specific form. I have not tried tai chi as our families only really get together around once a month and holidays. I will get it a shot the next time I see him, I have seen that he responds well to shared energy flow.

:)

• Like 1

Hi Mewtwo,

I talked to a few parents about this machine and many autistic kids seem to love it. It sort of cocoons them with pressure all around them. The parents describe that it sort of looks like a medieval torture device, but the pressure is effective. Many also use weighted blankets (up to 20 lbs) to generate the same kind of effect.

From their descriptions, I don't think most people would like/enjoy it for meditation, because of the constant pressure (and uneven) on different parts of the body. Also, the devices seem to be pretty expensive as the autistic school only has one of them.

Best wishes, Jeff

shame that people cant hug an autistic kid themselves...

Tristan, 6 in June, has a fairly mild form of Autism, but can outpace a hydrogen bomb when his temper blows.

He is a wonderful and loving kid though, and he loves a good hug.

Why cant people just LOVE their children without technology?

GRANTED, i understand the benefits, but they do not outweigh the alternatives which nature has everpresently supplied us.

Hi NAJA,

The parents that I know who have autistic children are all very loving. In this case, the machine is being used as support in a school setting. Think of it more like a "full body" hug machine, way beyond to capability of two arms. Also, there become safety issues for the teachers as the kids get older. My nephew is high school age and weighs 180.

Best, Jeff

i see. i can understand that even better with the added info and perspective, thanks.

I apologize for implying that people with autistic kids dont care about their kids... :lol: that was not intended.

Mike & Becky (Tristan's parents) are two of the most loving and supportive parents i've ever known.

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

Sign in to follow this