Owledge

Anybody remembers the Elder Scrolls Oblivion expansion?

Who remembers that expansion pack from Oblivion? I just remembered how strong the spiritual implications of its story are. A prankster type half-lunatic rules over the land, which is divided into two parts: Mania and Dementia, with the respective mood theme. In regular intervals, the ruler kinda flees, because a great aggressor will come and reshape the land - a ruler of strict, merciless order.

Later it becomes clear that the ruler doesn't so much flee from that event in order to be safe, but that he himself becomes the agent of order. He's bouncing between two extremes. The player is the champion whose task it is to defeat that 'villain'.

I found it a nice depiction of how duality works in all of us and how we can become blind of the inner source if we separate and alienate ourselves too much from the opposed extreme.

• Like 2

Sorry mate, I left the Shivering Isles for Skyrim. Currently having a split personality reassessment after realizing the leader of the Greybeards was a dragon....

• Like 1

Ah yes, the Shivering Isles.

I played Oblivion a lot and I love the game.

The concept and the philosophy behind it is very deep.

That's why I see the Elder Scrolls games as works of art with a deep story line and evolved lore.

Like a story or novel that you can participate in.

I really become the character when I play :)

Needless to say, I'm currently enjoying the new Skyrim DLC - Dragonborn!