Sign in to follow this  
sumdumgoy

A New Start

Hello people,

I am only 21 and I feel that I am at a crucial point in life, kind of like the 'fork in the road' type of thing. I got kicked out of a university about a year ago simply for having bad grades. Now before you presume that I am a bad learner, given that dismissal from a university is pretty extreme, I must mention that it is safe to say that the discipline I chose to study (mathematics) is relatively difficult. Although it is true that I struggled with the content of my courses, it is even more true that I did not have my priorities in order, practiced poor discipline, and most importantly did not value my opportunities.

I have come to believe that my struggles are the direct result of a weak (or non-existent?) spirituality. There was no driving force behind anything that I pursued in life; I only went to college because it is "the right thing to do" in this society. So with a new start on life, I've decided to begin with my spirituality and finding a purpose to the life I live.

My younger brother used to study Jeet Kune Do and he has many Bruce Lee books. It is in Lee's book "Artist of Life" where I first discovered Tao and ever since have been trying to better understand it. I hope that by joining TheTaoBums I will be able to do just that!

Edited by sumdumgoy
  • Like 2

21s no age to be bothering with spirituality buddy.

Time for fun, new places and new faces.

Theology degrees are great venues for meeting like minded people and a breeze compared to math.

Outside of the skilled trades any degree is better than none in today's job market.

Good Luck on your path.

helps to know why you are doing something...

/ purpose / motivation

so...why did you want to study maths? beyond societal reasons

or was that the only reason?

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 1

21s no age to be bothering with spirituality buddy.

Time for fun, new places and new faces.

Theology degrees are great venues for meeting like minded people and a breeze compared to math.

Outside of the skilled trades any degree is better than none in today's job market.

Good Luck on your path.

any age is the right age for bothering with spirituality. spirituality does not in any way exclude fun, new places and new faces, at any age.

'splitting off' spirituality into age appropriate categories is .... erm.. whats the word... ..

someone think of a word for it..

limiting? inaccurate? contrdictory to actual experience? a preconceived idea based on guff?

Um, let's NOT have me give out a reading list right off ... spending thirty plus years studying all manner of literature is fine, but not the best way for everyone. I'm going to agree with White Wolf on this; first finding out what one wants out of their experiences is more helpful, and although Shen is familiar with many paths, this forum has many experts in their own particular paths that outshine my abilitites. Mathematics is one of those subjects that requires a particular passion, so knowing what attracted you to it would be very instructive.

Sign in to follow this