rainbow

Seeking Personal advice

Lozen - both of my parents are teachers. My dad has been a teacher for 30 years and would never dream of being anything else - but he would be the first person to point out all of the ways the system doesn't equip all children equally. Imagine his frustration when his own daughter (being me!), who is certainly no fool (last time I checked anyway), was completely uninspired by the process of schooling.

It would be nice if there were as many methods for learning as there are students to learn. It is impossible to put 1000 kids through school with only one system to teach them with and think you are going to "succeed" with each and every one.

Of course, resources, pay levels for teachers, the conditions the students are expected to learn in, the food they get sold at the canteen and 1,000,000 other things have an impact on this system. I don't expect perfection...

But, hey - this is just my opinion...

L

I can certainly understand being uninspired with the process of schooling! I know I certainly was. Luckily, I learned to read and write anyway. I am therefore able to explain why over a message board. Being able to read and write has other benefits in that it can enable you to fill out a job application instead of being on the streets. This sounds melodramatic but I really do think it's true, at least in the areas I would like to teach.

The fact that students learn differently is something that is not only taught in every education course (from educational psychology to class management), but it's also being implemented by *some* teachers in the best way they know how. It's a two-way street, though. The kids have a choice, too.