DreamBliss

Anyone here from a Buddhist temple in the Camas/Washougal/Vancouver, WA area?

Well a couple of weeks back I biked out and went to the only Buddhist temple listed in the phonebook in my area. I know there are more than a few across the river in Portland, Oregon. But I'm not ready to go on pilgramge yet, so I'm trying to keep it under 40 miles round trip :)

It's listed as the, "US Oregon Buddhist Association" but is really the, "Wei Shei (I probable have this wrong, going from memory) Buddhist Temple. And it's a house in poor repair with a Dish satellite sticking out of the roof. Not very encouraging.

However on 18th in Vancouver, WA I did find a strange place that looks like some sort of temple, but there was no sign. It was very well maintained, bright colors, huge state of Buddha (I assume) next to a stone with strange writing on it, and another seated Buddha in meditation at a pool with a lotus flower in front of him. My guess is that this is some sort of Buddhist temple (not a huge stretch of the mind here), but I have no information on it.

So is anyone at these forums a monk at either of these places, or do you know about either of them? I'd like to get some more information if I can. Also if there are any other places tucked away and unlisted in this area? Neither of the ones I have mentioned here are listed online at the Dharma Pages or whatever its called. So how do you find your local Buddhist monastary or retreat when they are not listed in the phone book? Is there a listing somewhere of every religious place for each US state, or more specifically a listing of all the known Buddhist centers in Washington?

Oh and I would appreciate some good "first visitor" advice. Know I need to be wearing clothes without loud design, shouldn't have perfumes or strongly scented stuff on my body, that sort of thing. But beyond that I don't know general etiquette at all. So I would appreciate some advice, as well as the typical times for a service, in case I just have to bike down there and catch a service to learn more about them.

Appreciate the help!

- DreamBliss

Edited by DreamBliss

I am not where near your location neither a monk.

Normally if you can locate communities of shan or burmese, bhutan people in the area; they are quite a temple going bunch compare to other asian countries.

Some temples have something like mediatation evenings, you can join the monks meditating (mostly start like 5 or 6 pm onwards after their evening prays).

Monks mainly start eating thier meals between 11am and noon, you should be able to talk to them afterwards, dont talk to them while they are eating though. Let them know what aspects of Buddhism you are interested in.

If you are biking there, and you plan to meditate there; it would be good to bring a comfortable change of clothes.

Wish you find what you want to find.