Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Lao Tzu's idea of the Sage as expressed in the TTC

Over the past few months my opinion regarding Lao Tzu's meaning when he was referring to the Sage has changed. In the past I believed that Lao Tzu was referring to the sage as a man of wisdom and when he spoke of the sage, it wasn't as a ruler, but as an example of a ruler. Recently, after further examination, I have changed my opinion, in fact I think that the sage that Lao Tzu was talking about were the Sage-Kings of old, not Sages in general.

The reason I changed my mind, wasn't simply because I read an interesting article concerning Sages and kings and decided that it bore some merit, but rather because I reread the TTC without any preconceived notions of what a king and sage were and found that in nearly every chapter in which a Sage is mentioned in the TTC, he is referred to as a leader.

My belief now is that the TTC is a book written for the rulers of Lao Tzu's time that uses the Sage-Kings of old as an example for how the rulers of that time should lead their people. I've believed that the TTC was written as an example for rulers for quite some time now, but it wasn't until recently that I changed my opinion about who Lao Tzu was referring to.

For those interested in discussing this topic, I would ask that before you do so, that you reread the sections of the TTC that refer to the sage and examine those sections within context, not just the line that mentions the sage, but the whole passage. What I'm sure you'll find is that the sage being referred to is not a run of the mill sage, but the Sage-King of old.

Now keep in mind that this makes sense, because at the time the TTC was written the people's idea of a Sage was that of a ruler. In fact it's our own preconceived notions of the sage that leads us to believe otherwise. Again, clear your mind of preconceived ideas and reread the passages and I'm positive you'll come to the same conclusion. In fact more often than not you could substitute the word Sage-King for Sage and it would make absolutely more sense.

Aaron

The Mind......is always changing....... :ph34r:

-My 2 cents, Peace

Yes it is. If you had told me any of this twenty years ago I would've called you nuts, but now, after some contemplation, I can see the actual intent, rather than my desired intent, in the text. It's amazing how clarity works.

Aaron

Makes sense. Look at Machivelli's the Prince or much earlier the Art of War.

In order to influence change and get the message out there it needs to be targeted at change makers.

TTC is a universal text we all read it as we may but given the context of the time it was written an imperial elite readership would do more with it than say the customs guy on the gate it was supposedly written 'for' in the first place.

Just wish some of our rulers today would maybe take a bit more interest in TTC... .

for example...

If government is muted and muffled

People are cool and refreshed......

In order to influence change and get the message out there it needs to be targeted at change makers.

TTC is a universal text we all read it as we may but given the context of the time it was written an imperial elite readership would do more with it than say the customs guy on the gate it was supposedly written 'for' in the first place.

Just wish some of our rulers today would maybe take a bit more interest in TTC... .

for example...

for example...

for example...

Sign in to follow this