swampland

About Me!

Hi there,

I've tried to write in other areas of this forum, but found out that it isn't possible without writing in here first. So that's what I'm doing now.

Hey, so about myself. I am in my early twenties and have gotten in contact with taoist practices back in summer 2010 by reading Mantak Chias book on healing love, which I found pretty interesting.

I've tried some of the excercises but it never really worked out for me.

I've been doing yoga since late 2009 and have gained a general interest and knowledge in taoist practices, as well as tcm and equivalent indian forms such as ayurveda.

Also I've read other likewise stuff about shamanism and spiritual stuff in general for some years.

However I haven't been able to catch ground in anything I've been doing, since I'm a lot up in my head and find it pretty difficult to do anything physical.

So, what I'm looking for here is the bridge that will show me a slow and safe way out of my head.

Because I've really been forcing myself to do stuff before and it really hasn't been good for me, like Kundalini-Yoga, which left me feeling deeply depressed for weeks at a point. :(

I've been doing breathing excercises lately as well as experimenting with my diet.

I've known this forum since about a year, but again I haven't felt the urge to post something up until now.

So, that's about what I have to say. It has got no structure, but sort of neither do I. ;)

Greetings

I'd say grounding practices are something you should look into. I have the same problem with being stuck in my head a lot, and I also have difficulty with physical practices.

That being said, physical exercise is one of the best ways out of your head. I don't do it nearly enough these days, but physical exercise is the simplest (not easiest, as you and I both know!) way to ground yourself.

Hi Swampland,

Personal guidance is always especially useful at the beginning, especially if you run into blocks like you seem to be describing. Do you live in an area where you can find a Teacher? I mean someone who seems to have some degree of wisdom, and is willing to give personal individual attention--maybe even who offers private consultation?

IMO, as a general rule, you are more likely to find this in Taoist or Buddhist practices--most Hatha Yoga is pretty superficially taught.

I would also say--which you seem to have already discovered--DON'T PUSH YOURSELF!! This can be very dangerous, except under specific wise guidance.

Find a simple basic practice which you feel some resonance with--like maybe Taiji Standing (Zhan Zhuang) or sitting meditation; set yourself a goal of doing this 5 minutes a day (set an alarm). When you can do this regularly, move up to 10 minutes. Don't try to do too much; don't be seduced by the appeal of advanced or complex techniques. This will only slow you down! Ultimately there is nowhere to go anyway. ^_^

Best wishes

PPagan

Hi Swampland,

Ultimately there is nowhere to go anyway. ^_^

Hi swampland,

Wherever you go there you are... appreciate it all... (well some of the stuff be best to just appreciate it as possibilities that will remain as such). Anyhow I too am a bit on the head and at times find its pretty difficult to apply it. Its actually rather simple with the proper attitude and inclination... the challenge comes in generating those... a simple way to resolve this involves asking for guidance ... just make sure that if and when you do this that it be directed to and ensured to get to the better ones... and listen for the response which may come in all sort of mysterious ways... ultimate you be the teacher you will have just make sure that you listens to what be the better ways always (even when you does not want to listen)

I'd second the recommendation for zhan zhaung, although I wouldn't call it 'taiji standing' <smile, joke> I do standing as part of Hsing Yi practices. Sometimes I do I Chuan standing. I used to do a ton of standing in Iron Shirt.

The healing love practices are not easy to do (at least they weren't for me) and are very "heady" - drawing energy up to the head. And [years ago] in the healing tao the usual recommendation that if you were going to do the healing love practices that you should also have a 'grounding practice' - in the Healing Tao that was tai chi chi kung or Iron Shirt (standing)

I know some folks whose Tai Chi teacher, from China, told them to stand an hour a day for a hundred days to develop a root. I mention that not as a practice recommendation but to give you an idea that developing a root, like almost all real skills, takes a solid investment - not something most folks get overnight or in a weekend.

I'd second the recommendation for zhan zhaung, although I wouldn't call it 'taiji standing' <smile, joke> I do standing as part of Hsing Yi practices. Sometimes I do I Chuan standing. I used to do a ton of standing in Iron Shirt.

Hi Alchemist,

of course you are right that Taijiquan has no corner on Zhan Zhuang! As you no doubt know, Zhan Zhuang is divided into two principal forms: wuji, where the legs are pretty much straight and the arms at the sides; and taiji, in which the legs are bent to various extents and the arms are up in some form of "embrace the ball" positions.

Best wishes

PPagan