et-thoughts

The Belief veil...

Sometimes to experience something one has to give up a belief ... this is sometimes easier said than done... would like to open up the dialogue on dealing with beliefs that tint what we experience and the effective means to ensure the untinted experience be the untinted experience... what ways work to counteract the tinting effects of beliefs...

I think the first step is realising that you even hold a belief. It is seeing things as 'facts' that is the problem.

Once the belief is recognised as such the battle is half won, although it will linger on out of habit for a while.

One of the things that helps me is being aware of biased that I may have. When you want something to be true and hope for it to be true, it is a bias that can be short-sighted and neglecting of other possibilities.

Another thing is hope, I know that pragmatically there isn't anything wrong with "hoping" or whatever, but it is really wanting for something, a desire underneath whatever intention, be it good or bad. I don't think hoping is necessarily good or bad, it is just pointless and leads to bias when determining truth.

Always be open to other possibilities that haven't been tested. Because you have evidence pointing towards a seeming truth, that is only one line that only increases the probability. Truth will have many lines pointing at it, these are called lines of consilience. These lines are independent from varying sources and fields.

Example of a truth is that one can develop awareness of the "third eye". This is truth because all of the independent lines from varying sources are pointing at the same thing, yet sometimes with different terminology. Combining this evidence with subjective experience I can conclude the validity of it.

Another thing is that truth can be unknown, and it is ok to leave things unknown rather then deciding to believe one way or the other, when there are only 2 choices presented, it is most likely a false dichotomy.

An example of a truth that is unknown fathoming infinity.

Pi is also seemingly true but unknown.

Edited by Informer

I think the first step is realising that you even hold a belief. It is seeing things as 'facts' that is the problem.

Once the belief is recognised as such the battle is half won, although it will linger on out of habit for a while.

Well when 'what one sees as facts' depends on what one holds to believe the situation can get a bit more convoluted ... especially when the beliefs involved complicate rather than facilitate seeing 'what be' for 'what be'... Some 'beliefs' just can not permit other 'beliefs' existence ... because the existence of the other beliefs exposes the truth and certain beliefs can not exist when the truth is exposed...

I had the fortune to had been involved in an interchange where beliefs sort of played a central role though where not the central role, which focused on discovering whatever happened to be. In other words all involved wanted to discover what actually happened rather than what each believed/thought/felt/experienced to have happened. As pointed just now the individuals beliefs did play a role but the idea was to focus on seeing things, not what one believed to be seeing. My position sought to put forth a proposition that would substantially expand the field of study, though it involved substantial changes... including giving up certain beliefs. The plan was rather simple, jointly explore what happened to be independent of the beliefs involved. Easier said than done. A workaround to this involves jointly explore what happened to be including all of the individual beliefs, which then would help us jointly discriminate some beliefs and focus on what happened to be. Put succinctly expand individual possibilities to include more possibilities and then constrain the possibilities to end up with the 'valid' ones...

To make a long story short that experience enabled me to realize how the belief language in use alters what we see, how its possible to translate between the belief language in use, how beliefs linger on out of habit and other insights. I was fortunate that the expansion and the contraction would allow me to stay on my original position rather than force me to end up in a different place... though I also was able to let go of part of my original position. It turned out into a rather strange paradoxical interchange... where we started in 100% agreement in apparent disagreement dew to holding different beliefs and ended up disagreeing on the agreements ... it was quite unfortunate that the other lost interest in furthering pursuing the interchange and venturing into the expanded domain... Since then I sort of have been wondering, pondering and exploring over the notion of what it takes to effectively deal with beliefs...

who knows maybe this will the the interchange that will lead to that singular discovery that changes everything...