ChiDragon

Zhan Zhuang (站樁)

OPINIONS ON THIS?

In regards to how the bottom of the foot shuld lay on the ground in "proper" ZZ practice, according to how I understand "The Way of Power" Master Lam Kam Chuen (in my summary) that the more advanced one gets the more the weight should shift to the front "triangle" of the foot. Also, one is to begin with a triangle formed from the ankle to the big toe to the mid part of the heel is optimal.

He also states the more one works on the "small triangle" (on the ball of the foot-the shen), it unlocks the secrets to Da Cheng Chuan.

Interesting that Sifu Lao Xie Matsuo stresses staying on the ball of the foot to maximize speed and raise vibrational frequency in baguazhang.

Edited by jaysahnztao

OPINIONS ON THIS?

In regards to how the bottom of the foot shuld lay on the ground in "proper" ZZ practice, according to how I understand "The Way of Power" Master Lam Kam Chuen (in my summary) that (1) the more advanced one gets the more the weight should shift to the front "triangle" of the foot. Also, (2) one is to begin with a triangle formed from the ankle to the big toe to the mid part of the heel is optimal.

(1) More weight toward the front is for a novice.

(2) That is for an intermediate.

It is harder to balance oneself if one was to shift more weights to the rear or the lower legs are perpendicular to the ankles. In other words, the farther the knees move toward the ankle, the more force has to be exerted by the lower legs and the feet to anchor the body to the ground. The force exerted by the lower legs and feet was known as Fa Jin. Thus it is the Jin that was holding the whole body in place. Indeed, the purpose of ZZ was to build up the muscle tone mostly for the lower legs and feet to Fa Jin. The Fa Jin is equivalent to adding more weight to the lower legs and feet to counteract the weight of the upper body.

• Like 2