konchog uma

Shaivism for beginners

from the samsara thread:

You are welcome Anamatva,

One might say (depending on which branch of Hinduism and schools) that "Deity cosmos" could be alluded to as Lord Nataraja... Imo teachings related to Lord Nataraja explain a great deal (!); but as you say Lord Siva (beyond categories & change) can not really be explained by any mental efforts. For further information I would suggest reading a good translation of the major Upanishads and also revealed doctrine from the major schools of Saivisms Sat Gurus. (that is if you haven't already done so. (my knowledge is very limited on the vastness of same!) I would also add that the merits and or principals of "right speech" from Buddhism is pretty darn good and could be used by anyone or any religion with certain adjustments; such is an area where I obviously need improvement.

Om

thank you 3bob,

i have always been attracted to shiva and lately to shaivism, but since (a profound and powerful) shivaratri, i have been drawn to learn and practice more. I am still a baby in my learning, but i have started with lakshmanjoo's "vijnana bhairava" and "kashmir shaivism: a secret supreme". I have also read john hughes "self realization in kashmir shaivism" and been reading a good bit about kundalini lately, which seems inseparable from the concept of shiva/shakti, so have been absorbing info from other sources too. Any recommendations for reading on the teachings of nataraja? i should read the upanishads, its been years since i looked at them. i think i will do that, thanks. for what its worth, i've also been working with the "deepen your practice" and other material from mark griffin, and with the mantras SoHam & Om Namah Shivaya (a little bit of Sauh and Shivoham too, but i don't know enough about their practice to really "get into" them yet). I live in Pittsburgh, PA, but i don't think there are any shaiva centers or temples, or teachers, here, so i am mostly working from literature and the oral recordings of mark griffin.

so any advice for study or growth that anyone has would be really appreciated. I feel like i have gotten back in touch with divinity in my life, and it has been really beyond words to describe the effect(s) of that. Thanks in advance for any help that any of you are inclined to give :)

• Like 1

from the samsara thread:

thank you 3bob,

i have always been attracted to shiva and lately to shaivism, but since (a profound and powerful) shivaratri, i have been drawn to learn and practice more. I am still a baby in my learning, but i have started with lakshmanjoo's "vijnana bhairava" and "kashmir shaivism: a secret supreme". I have also read john hughes "self realization in kashmir shaivism" and been reading a good bit about kundalini lately, which seems inseparable from the concept of shiva/shakti, so have been absorbing info from other sources too. Any recommendations for reading on the teachings of nataraja? i should read the upanishads, its been years since i looked at them. i think i will do that, thanks. for what its worth, i've also been working with the "deepen your practice" and other material from mark griffin, and with the mantras SoHam & Om Namah Shivaya (a little bit of Sauh and Shivoham too, but i don't know enough about their practice to really "get into" them yet). I live in Pittsburgh, PA, but i don't think there are any shaiva centers or temples, or teachers, here, so i am mostly working from literature and the oral recordings of mark griffin.

so any advice for study or growth that anyone has would be really appreciated. I feel like i have gotten back in touch with divinity in my life, and it has been really beyond words to describe the effect(s) of that. Thanks in advance for any help that any of you are inclined to give :)

I have been moved by sri shankaracharya's compositions on Lord Shiva. There was an extended period of time when i focussed on him...and many interesting things happened. Being the fool that i am, i did not realize it at that time...so if your bhakti has been awakened, immerse yourself.

All the best.

from the samsara thread:

thank you 3bob,

Ah, thank you also Anamatva! I found a link that has a lot of inspired information, I hope it is helpful in your search: (the materail is further down or below its page header)

http://archive.suite101.com/article.cfm/hinduism/19950

Studies about Lord Siva as Lord Nataraja make the most profound sense to me of any teachings that I've ever come across! Also a very important aspect related to all this material is Grace or the Divine power working in and through a Sat Guru that extends key help to all beings!

Om

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

thank you both

although i couldn't immeditately find any books by adi shankaracharya i will keep looking

there were some eBooks but they were for kindle or nook i forget which. im sure theres a proggie to convert them to PDF but i haven't looked into that

thank you both

although i couldn't immeditately find any books by adi shankaracharya i will keep looking

there were some eBooks but they were for kindle or nook i forget which. im sure theres a proggie to convert them to PDF but i haven't looked into that

Atma Shatakam -- http://www.swamij.com/shankara-atma-shatakam.htm

• Like 1