Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

[TTC Study] Chapter 69 of the Tao Teh Ching

.The yin and yang of virtue in battle; or using battle to describe the yin and yang of tao...Responding rather then taking action.

In the uninitiated state, Tao is old female, un-moved so-

There is a saying among soldiers:

I dare not make the first move but would rather play the guest;I dare not advance and inch but would rather withdraw a foot.

The Tao is non assertive, even in battle, the Tao reflects the assertion, so when one attacks, the tao only reflects the attack, which is also noted here.

This is called marching without appearing to move,

The idea is that to remain totaly at "rest" during the battle. By only reflecting, you never attack; when you are attacked, your response is a reflection of every assault the attacker makes. By remaining virtuous, right before the attacker is about to slay (in his mind) the tao reflects it and it is as though he falls by his own sword becaus ehe is fighting with a virtuous reflection of himself.

By reflecting instead of acting you are still, the moment the opponent begins to draw his sword, you draw yours faster. The moment he begins to retreat, you return your sword to its sheath like wise the moment they issue a killing blow, being virtuous oposite, you slay them and "karmicly" it is as though they fell to their own sword. The goal is never to slay the opponent. It is to allow their energy to cycle through you and return to a state of rest the moment is gone.

In the begining,before the interplay of yin and yang, yin is at rest. After the initial action of yang,yin reflects the action and the interplay is eternal display of reflecting responses and action, no energy is waisted by the Tao, the energy of the initiater is merely played out.

Chapter 69

1. There was a saying in military strategy:

2. I wouldn't dare to be the aggressor other than a defender.

3. I'm wouldn't dared to move forward by an inch but to retreat a foot.

4. It was said to be:

5. Even though there were battle arrays, but it seems there were none.

6. Even though there were arms to be raised, but it seems to be none.

7. Although there were enemies to be fought, but it seems there were no enemies.

8. There was nothing worse than underestimate the enemy.

9. Underestimate the enemy almost caused to loose the three treasures.

10.Therefore, if both sides are equal in strength, then, yet, the side with mercy shall win.

Chapter 69

1. 用兵有言:|

2. 吾不敢為主而為客。

3. 不敢進寸而退尺。

4. 是謂:

5. 行無行。

6. 攘無臂。

7. 扔無敵。

8. 執無兵。

9. 禍莫大於輕敵。

10.輕敵幾喪吾寶。

11.故抗兵相若,

12.哀者勝矣。

Hi Ion,

Nice post and observations.

Kinda' like using the enemy's energy to defeat him.

Right, by retaing a position of stillness you nither desire or try to save your own life or take the life of the opponent. Just reflect and remain selfless, if the opponent retreats, withdrawl, if his ego overcomes him and he tries to kill you, you simply reflect.

Hehehe. You just had to get that word "mercy" in there for me, didn't you?

Hehehehe...

Yes, it was called out in the three treasures as in Chapter 67.

Sign in to follow this