Sign in to follow this  

western practices

I will be getting back to the states soon, to go to school.

I am hoping I will fall into serious practice again soon, and have considered trying to renew my interest via western practice... ie, hermeticism. (specifically, hermetic qabbalah, maybe alchemy..)

I am thinking I would also like to find and join 'societies' such as the free-masons, occult societies, etc. in the hopes of finding occult adepts. (is this likely??)

It seems that if such groups exist, *finding* them would be an accomplishment initself.

I know sean was very interested in similiar things before an involvement in taoist practice.. perhaps you could give some hints, tips, advice, and perhaps a decent reading list? ( I have no idea what to buy off of amazon...)

I've never really hung out much in occult crowds, just read a lot of books and practiced magick on my own here and there. I have a friend out here who is pretty high up in a Thelemic lodge and is a very grounded person ... I would describe him as an adept on some level. Adept is the same as Yogi really. The most advanced are so ordinary and so comfortable with their ordinariness that you can almost miss how freakin' cool they are and what a rare and extraordinary quality this is.

Hmm... where to start. I think it depends on the tradition that you are attracted to. But let's see, a nice cross section of books to start with might be:

Initiation into Hermetics (also check Mistele and Rawn)

Mystical Qabalah

Modern Magick

Stealing Fire from Heaven

Visual Magick

Also sign up for a membership to BOTA and follow the lessons they mail you. You can also try to find a local group, there are a bunch.

Also heard good things about RJ Stewart but have not checked it out yet myself.

Hope this helps!

Sean

great! thanks.

I was just searching the forums and ordered a bunch of dion fortune books.. the kyballion.. and a qigong book =p

I can't wait lol to have them

ugh.... free masons???

I'd personally avoid that shit as much as I would the church of scientology......

:unsure:

didn't modern hermetic come from 3 free-masons? (or something like that..)

I know a free-mason... he's a nice guy but couldn't be anymore unspecial... but this doesn't mean I don't think that, potentially, being a free-mason would make me slightly more privvy to other organizations actually worth a damn.

or am I being naive?

Sign in to follow this