Sign in to follow this  
Non

gou qi zi: do they need to be heated?

Do the goji berries (gou qi zi) need to be brewed into a tea to have their maximal effect or can they be eaten raw and still have the same effect as the pills?

idk but i always eat the raw berries. i never buy the juice even if sometimes i soak the berries (and sometimes with other herbs) in alcohol.

I've been eating 1/4 cup, plus another 1/4 cup at least for making tea, then eating them. As for the raw juice: isn't it just the best tasting water after exercise? lol. I put a little himalayan salt and cayenne pepper, and maybe some lemon juice.

Edited by Non

Do the goji berries (gou qi zi) need to be brewed into a tea to have their maximal effect or can they be eaten raw and still have the same effect as the pills?

No need to heat them. Chinese often don't eat them raw. They tend to lack juice to make them a plumb taste, so they are dry. But for cooking reasons, they "look" very good in soups and dishes.

Very common is Gou Qi Jiu; Alcohol seeped in Gou Qi and spooned out whenever you want some. There are some who seep it for multiple years before taking it. I have had "3 year Gou Qi Jiu" and it's potent. The general rule for making such alcohol mixes are, the stronger the alcohol the better. So nothing less than 50% but 60-70% is recommended.

Like people've said, you can eat 'em raw - but I think they're kinda hard to digest raw. At least chew them really well.

I often put a small handful in a cup, pour in hot water, then eat them after some time soaking. Softens 'em up. :) Easier to digest.

HerbGouQiZiSoak.jpg

Sign in to follow this