stan herman

Tao Now -- Contemporary Interpretations in a Personal Context

Yes, everyone has made some very good points. I agree, Compassion, frugality, and never striving to be first (not competing or humility) are the key attributes of a sage, but I see them as also being key to working in harmony with the world around us.

I'm not a Taoist per se, but I studied the Tao Teh Ching for nearly 20 years and it had a profound impact on my life. I think much of who I have become is a result of my understanding of the Tao Te Ching (and misunderstanding).

Anyways, very nice thread. I think it's very important to be able to place these things in a personal context, at least if we sincerely desire to practice them.

Aaron

Yes, everyone has made some very good points. I agree, Compassion, frugality, and never striving to be first (not competing or humility) are the key attributes of a sage, but I see them as also being key to working in harmony with the world around us.

I'm not a Taoist per se, but I studied the Tao Teh Ching for nearly 20 years and it had a profound impact on my life. I think much of who I have become is a result of my understanding of the Tao Te Ching (and misunderstanding).

Anyways, very nice thread. I think it's very important to be able to place these things in a personal context, at least if we sincerely desire to practice them.

Aaron

I agree, it takes a mix of traditions to expand and extend one's perspectives. I especially like the observation that God and We contain each other.

To remind the reader. This thread is about the practical uses of Tao in ordinary life. Many, perhaps most of the TTC translations/interpretations seem to me to be written with a predisposition toward the passive, submissive and inactive modes of addressing life. One needs to read for the nuance to find that, in fact it allows for robust and forceful action as well, when this is natural. I think it's worthwhile to consider these positions on the continuum of existence (which also manifest in the whole of the universe), and for each individual to have access to a fuller range of capability. In my view, Patience and Drive are both aspects of Wu wei.

Patience is the ability to wait. It includes the capacity to endure ambiguous and difficult times with composure. Being able to function well in times of suspense, when you don't know how issues you feel strongly about will turn out, or even in adversity, when they turn out badly.

For the short-term too patience can help one to pace one's self and tactics. You can think of this as 'operational patience'. One example of operational patience for a leader (or teacher) is recognizing it may be better to provide followers/students gradually with information you think they can absorb rather than unloading all at once. In a military sense, plan campaigns rather than individual battles.

As a leader your reputation for patience, persistence and endurance is also important for mobilizing effort from others. One must develop the patience to listen and hear alternative points of view even when one's convictions seem to lead toward a predetermined conclusion. Others have to know you're serious and your proposed goals aren't just passing whims that will be blown away by the first squall of opposition. And when your proposal prevails in the battle for acceptance that doesn't mean the war is won. Be ready to endure early mis-steps and failures as you climb the learning curve to implementing a plan.

Drive is probably the crucial dimension of power. Power is not a sin, nor is it a violation of Tao. It is a tool. A person with extraordinary drive directed toward a particular goal can often make things happen (whether she consciously follows these suggestions or not). Drive is an intangible that's made up of fascination, inclination, and physical and mental energy. People with extraordinary drive are noticeable. They don't give up, they persist, not always pleasantly.

Those of us who have a less intense degree of drive in our character need to use what we have selectively. One way that can be done is through a self-calibrating process. You can deliberately ask yourself how much energy you really have and want to make available for a particular goal or plan. A realistic equation that balances what you want with what you're willing to invest can prevent useless frustration and self-criticism.

Having recently been engaged in an exchange about reducing ego-power and hierarchies, verses 21 and 22 came into view.

21. Perspectives abound. The worker, the supervisor; the engineer, the salesman; the bold, the cautious; the analyst, the activist--each gathers in information and molds it to a form that suits his singular disposition. Each form constructed from the materials of that person's interests, experiences and feelings. Thus opinions are derived and closely held.

But opinions are no more than run off from that enormous hidden stream that moves all things along. Competent people make sense of their opinions, superior people make sense of many opinions, outstanding people realize the source of opinions.

22. Quick and easy success can dull your edge. Establishing your image can slow your moves. Maintaining your position can leave you behind. Refining your data can blunt your instincts. There is danger in complacency.

Deviating from the shortest path one better learns the geography. Advancing more slowly one has time to know the inhabitants. Bending to pressure, one remains unbroken and may later spring back vigorously.

Driving one's self less one may be carried on the drive of well selected others. Recognizing one's self as no more nor less than an equal, others may credit one's specialness.

For me when I first encountered the Tao, one of its more intriguing elements was in the verses dealing with 'leadership'. Of course, few conventional translations refer to leadership as such, they speak of rulers--emperors, lords and princes. Their times and locale were starkly different--ancient China. This was an era of absolute despotism at the top and totally submissive populations at the bottom, so it isn't easy to find practical relevance in interpreting the Tao's lessons on leadership for our times. But with a bit of poetic extension it is possible.

What I'm going to try to do in the following entries of 'Tao Now' is to set the stage for a few short stories that I think reflect what Lao Tzu might have written if he had found himself transported into our times (and had to work for a living :D These will be followed by related verses and maybe an illustration or two. Hope you like them, and feel free to let me know whether you do or don't.

THE LEGEND -- Part 2

Gary became an executive vice president and he continued, smart, demanding and lucky. His reputation made him seem tough to some and terrifying to others. Yet people from all parts of the company seemed to be standing in line to transfer into his organization. It was fun and exciting and successful. There were opportunities and generous budgets. For a lot of mid-level managers a meeting with Gary was an event--like meeting an NFL quarterback. Even when he skinned you with that whip-like mind of his, you could go back to your peers and show the scars proudly.

When Gary was appointed president and chief operating officer of the company his mind seemed to grow even sharper. He had a vision of the company's future and the business sense and instincts for determining what was crucial and what was irrelevant in getting to it. He had about zero tolerance for irrelevance or people who brought irrelevancies to him, no matter who they were, and that included some pretty powerful people in the financial community Gary engineered several acquisitions that were instrumental in moving the company into the front ranks of its industry, but in the process he bruised the egos of several major investment bankers.

When the company CEO retired a few years later most of us expected Gary would succeed him, but it didn't happen. A more conservative person was picked. Gary took it in stride, and still tried to mobilize support among the board of directors for his plans, though he wasn't desperate about it. But he had too many opponents. The board of directors decided against his proposals. Gary was appointed vice-chairman of the board, a job that had more title than authority, and he no longer held operating responsibility. About a year later, I remember, a major business magazine commented on 'the seeming decline of company energy', and for more than two years the company did indeed seem to get pretty lethargic.

Gary, sensed a new chance, and like Napoleon, attempted to come back from exile by trying again to win the board to his vision. For a while it looked as though he might succeed, but the forces against him were still too strong. Soon afterward, at sixty-two, Gary retired and made plans to sail around the world in a small boat. Just before his scheduled departure a prominent business columnist interviewed him. In the course of the interview, sensing the possibility for developing a hot story of corporate controversy at high levels, he asked Gary if, in light of his long career with the company he felt any bitterness about the way he had been treated.

Gary seemed surprised by the question, then he said, "No bitterness at all. It was a hell of a trip." He smiled and pointed at a model of his sailboat, resting at a corner of his desk. "And now," he said, "I'm getting ready to start another one."

Bill seemed to have ended the story just in time with the the waiter arriving with our wine, but nobody moved. Bill folded his big hand around his glass and said, about a year after Gary retired the company was awarded two large contracts and started to hire again.

15. Alert to problems and opportunities, addressing them with prudence and calm. Solid in principle and fluid in execution. Open to ever changing possibilities. Generous and considerate. These are the qualities.

Flowing with ones natural stream, accepting ones rapids and whirlpools, becalmings and stagnant pools. Stroking hard without compulsion, resting patiently, awaiting clarity that is sure to come. These are their applications.

8. Whatever his hierarchal level, the sound leader stands as high within it as he can in what he does, and as low within it as he is able in terms of personal pride in his position and achievements. Large egos tend to high ambition and showy claims. They sort other people and conditions only as items favorable or unfavorable to themselves and their interests. Great prides trumpet great accomplishments and obscure great failures, rise on great euphorias and sink in great despondences. In all this tide of drama the pleasures of the ordinary are often lost.

The sound leader refines his ego to more moderate proportions. While he may lead through equally momentous events he travels his road more evenly. He pauses to engage his friendliness, spends attention on maintaining his straightforwardness and remembers to value the substance of both his own and others work. Insisting on no sorting of those for or against him, he himself is not so sorted.

post-62923-130964040833_thumb.jpg23. In every life things are bound to go up and down. In nature the weather changes from fair to stormy and then to fair again. In the stock market and in the fortunes of sports teams there are wins and losses.

One year, a person who is capable, works hard and is promoted. A second person who is capable and works hard is not. And a third person who is not capable and avoids work, but plays political games cleverly, is also promoted. How unfair, one might say.

But the tide turns, the season changes and the pendulum swings only according to their own schedules, and the world is fair only in its own terms. It is not obliged to conform to yours.

If you identify yourself with winning then winning will identify with you. If you identify yourself with losing then losing will identify with you.

A sound leader chooses her course and follows its varied turns without regrets. She performs her work as well as she can, dispenses kindness when she can and justice when it is required. When she finds herself badly used by others she changes what she can, protects what she can, and endures what she must. Until the tide turns, the season changes, and the pendulum swings.

Edited by stan herman

Me

I'm a woodcarver. And when I begin a carving, I need to start with an INTENTION--is it to be a head, an object, a freeform? Then I need to consider the OTHER--in this case the wood to be carved--giving due attention to its natural grain and shape, the advantages and obstacles presented. I need to notice these. Finally as I lift my tool, I open myself to the unplanned ideas that arise through intuition from within and inspiration from without--the stuff of Wu wei.

When considering Lao Tzu, it's useful to remember, even as he placed his emphasis on minimizing deliberation and allowing nature to guide, he had intention when he began to dictate the Tao. He took into account his 'other'--the 'grain and shape' of those to whom he was speaking--the ruling class of Chinese society.

Lao Tzu's Times

Lao Tzu was a person--or many persons. As a person, he lived his life in a time and place, and they affected his perceptions. Lao Tzu dictated his 81 verses in ancient, Imperial China when rulers were rulers, the mass of people were illiterate peasants, and nobody voted. He was also a member of the elite and an adviser to the power structure. When he composed the verses Lao Tzu was an old man--an old man heading away from the activities of advising royalty, and into the quieter times of retirement. There is an underlying passivity and submissiveness (non-intentionality) to many of the Tao's verses that I think reflect this time of life.

Having experienced a similar situation myself, I realized that those 'senior' feelings -- the lures of peace, contentment, affection, stability -- have become increasingly attractive to me too -- in contrast, for example, to competition, excitement, challenge and discovery. Nevertheless, the fact is that since the beginning of humanity and among primates before, that latter set has been with the world, and except for those who renounce the world entirely, they will endure. In examining Chinese history at the time, they endured for Lao Tzu's clients too.

The significance I find in these observations is hardly profound. Rather it's one of the traditional adages that note 'for every season there is a turn'. And so for every person. And so for one's spiritual evolvement. At different times in one's life different philosophical/spiritual paths will be appropriate.

To me, what seems best is to bring one's spirituality into the daily world--not by decrying the daily world and insisting on converting it to the world you think it should be (no matter how nice and spiritual) but, like the woodcarver, taking into account the blending of the world as it is, and the intentions of the teachings of Lao Tzu and others, both ancient and recent, according to the intuitions and inspirations granted to you by grace.

28. A person who can plunge ahead and wait patiently can foster the appropriate strategy.

One who values expansion and appreciates contraction is better able to perceive the possibilities latent in others.

Managing diversity, he can distinguish those who are best at risking and creating, those best at caution and maintaining, and those who are best at toughness and compelling.

As he respects all he can provide modulating for the entrepreneur, stimulating for the bureaucrat, and tempering for the autocrat.

Only one who is high in stature and low in vanity can truly grasp the worlds of those he leads, and because of this he is an endless source of usefulness to them.

The capacity for such non-discrimination grows within the leader. Such a leader can lead the many not alone the few.

17. The best leader seldom interferes.

Less desirable is the one who is well known and admired by everyone.

Worse is the one who is feared, and worst the one held in contempt.

To become an excellent leader, you have to abandon addiction to praise from above and flattery from below.

The excellent leader leads least. He studies the distinctive skills and natural inclinations of both those above and those below and directs their attention to accomplish what is required to benefit all.

When this has been done all declare they have been part of a worthwhile purpose.

post-62923-13110281021_thumb.jpg

About Wu wei

There is considerable discussion now about Wu wei. Tao alludes to Wu wei athough its precise meaning is unclear. Does it mean non-action, or does it mean no deliberated action? Some will think assertiveness is clearly contrary to Wu wei. But Wu wei also means natural action--not forced or deviant--action flowing from innate energy. For the individual it would be a normal aspect of his/her behavioral repertoire. It would be 'spontaneous', not analytically deliberated, but it could be strongly expressed and purposeful.

What is important to recognize, is that doing the natural thing is not the same for everyone. Just as, while it's natural for snow to fall in Scandinavia, it's natural for it not to fall in Central Africa. And, even while it is natural for snow to fall in Scandinavia, heavier snow falls are more natural in some areas than in others, and heavier snow falls occur naturally in some years than in others. So, it seems to me that when we speak of what is natural we are speaking not of a single, static position, but of a continuum reflecting the individual's unique character, the particular situation encountered and the time of action.

And we see that what is natural is not a single thing but rather a wide variety of things. What is natural action for human beings also varies widely. In speaking of Wu wei this fact is frequently missed by many commentators. And so when observing human action that is swift, decisive and aggressive they automatically label it as a violation of Wu wei, and it may not be.

Sol, what is the lesson here? First, it is legitimate within the path of Tao to have purpose and intent. Those who seek to follow the Way do so with purpose and intent. Lao Tzu dictated his verses with purpose and intent (to influence the ruling class of China). Second, the problem is not purpose and intent, but such narrowness of vision as to be blind one to all the possibilities that exist beyond one's intent, and freeze one's self into an unchangeable intent. Third, following the prescriptive declarations of others' words as a gospel of universal truth and righteousness is limiting. One must discover one's own best meanings.

25 (excerpt)

. Like surfers on a wave, skiers on a slope, racers on a track, riding the world is what each of us does. There is no other possibility. How each of us rides the world is our way. . . Each person's way is a marvel of intricacy and significance, so too are the way of the earth and the way of the spirit. In an endless network each way sparks and is sparked by all others, and thus maintains life.

52 (excerpt)

For a moment set aside your words and thoughts and things. Cherish emptiness for it quenches the fire of words and clears the view. Then you will know the whole, emptiness and fullness.

The one who knows the whole may use it all, the visible and concealed, present and future, action and non-action. With such advantage you will never lose.

YOU NEVER KNOW

There were times when Bill knew how to be exasperating. Craig Lopez had just heard that he was going to be transferred, and he didn't have much choice about it. Several of us were sympathizing with him while he explained and complained about what a rotten deal he was getting. Craig didn't like the city they were sending him to and he was convinced being that far away from headquarters would soon put his career on the shelf. As he saw it the move was the first step on his way down. We tried to reassure him but weren't getting anywhere, when someone turned to Bill in desperation and asked him if he had any suggestions.

Well, I don't know if I mentioned this before, Bill said, but my daughter Janice left her job a while ago. She didn't have any choice, she was laid off. Bill's face was a pitcher full of gloom.

Since we were all in a sympathetic mood anyway, it wasn't long before someone said, That's too bad, Bill.

I suppose it could have been worse, Bill said. She got another offer in couple of weeks, it even paid better.

That's great! someone said.

It would have been except that she had to move to a different city, just like Craig. Bill's gloomy face got a little gloomier.

If she hated that half as much as I do, said Craig, that must have been a tough decision for her.

Bill shoulder twitched in a small shrug. Actually, it turned out she had been wanting to spend some time away from her boy friend. They’d been talking about moving in together and she wanted to think about it for a while.

Really, Craig said suddenly. You could see he was getting involved in the story, "that can be a good idea. Time away in another place, maybe dating some other people, that can be helpful.

Bill looked up at Craig and seemed all at once brighter eyed. That's just what happened, he said. After a few months Janice found out that she really does want to live with him. He's offered to finance them both until she gets a job in the city. They may even get married.

Right! said Craig, who was savoring his own good judgment. I’m glad it turned out well.

No sooner had he said it than Bill clouded up again and looked like the gloom pitcher was about to run over. The trouble is they just couldn't come to an agreement on where they were going to live. He wanted to keep his apartment, but Janice didn’t like it and wanted to find a new place so they can start together fresh. They got very polarized about the subject, had some real arguments.

That's too bad, Craig sort of mumbled warily. He was beginning to look a little glassy eyed.

Actually, said Bill, who looked like he could go on forever and might just do it, they decided just a few days ago to find a new place and this morning Janice called and said they found one they both like very much.

Uh-huh, murmured Craig. We could hardly hear him, but Bill's saga kept marching on.

Unfortunately the rent is very high. They could afford it if she were working, but they want to save some for a house too. And then they're talking about starting a family. Bill tapered off and it was real quiet for what seemed like a very long time. Then Bill looked directly at Craig, and this time you couldn’t tell whether he was gloomy or happy.

When Craig couldn't hold out any longer he had to ask it, Well, Bill how did it finally turn out?

Good question, Bill said, good question.

24. Self-confidence is a strong signal when it is quiet. When it is broadcast at high volume it turns to static. The leader who is her own publicist is no more likely to convince her audience than her client. In advancing toward the peak a leader who throws her weight around is more likely to lose her footing. One who carries her weight in proper balance is more likely to hold the trail.

When her early advances have been made in long, easy strides, a young person may come to expect the same in future. Thus, considering only her past, she values only one direction--forward, only one speed--fast, and only one mood--'look at me'. But the trail is long and wiser travellers learn to move occasionally from side-to-side, to slow the pace or even to retreat at times. And to feel as comfortable in the background as the front.

Edited by stan herman

16. Every now and then consider your life as a total (including your death as well). For some the absolutely most difficult thing of all to learn is that they are no better than anyone else, for others it is that they are no worse than anyone else.

If you are able, reflect a little as well, that you are no better nor worse than all else that appears before you, composed of sub-atomic particles that are tracks of energy. All contained together, within 'the system'.

If that view seems too abstract, too lacking power, too passive or fatalistic, reflect further. Destiny does not lack power nor is it often passive. Blindness and anxiety are the costs of denying destiny. Understanding destiny is enlightenment. It does not require your surrender but rather your embrace. In return it offers the knowledge of your immortality.

Paradox

The Tao, as many other 'wisdom' guides, is translated and interpreted by people. Its messages therefore are subject to the conscious and unconscious predispositions of both the translator and the reader. The Tao, in particular, written in Chinese characters, is open to a wide range of interpretation. To some it seems to advocate total passivity, others find its message to be 'act naturally', but do act. Which is correct and which is wrong? Both are correct and wrong. Can that be?

A word that captures the spirit of this discussion is "Paradox". Wikiipedia defines: "

A paradox is a seemingly true statement or group of statements that lead to a contradiction or a situation that seems to defy logic or intuition." There are paradoxes in physics, mathematics, logic, moral philosophy and many other fields. Examples:

➢ How can light travel as both a particle and a wave? 

➢ How can stress both weaken and strengthen muscle tissue and the immune system?

➢ If the laws of cause and effect are absolute, how can there be free will? 

➢ Can the existence of evil be compatible with the existence of an omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect god? 

➢ Is it moral to kill one person in order to save the lives of many?

➢ Which is moral, to punish the evildoer or to forgive him? 

➢ If one thing is certain, it is that nothing is certain. This then must be a false statement.

In my view the capacity for spiritual development, (within the context of living daily life in this world), surely requires consideration of new unknowns. Truth and relevance for each person depends on her current place on her path. We are able to consider new ideas when we are ready to consider them, and only if we are willing to. In true science paradoxes are not ignored, but explored, and eventually they are often reconciled in a new burst of constructive creativity. So it is also in the realm of our spiritual growth. To deny or ignore paradox is to imprison one's self within an isolated fortress.

BEEJAY'S ELEPHANT

Our group went out to dinner one night. It was a long evening and the longer it went the more relaxed it got. Toward the late hours, like kids telling ghost stories, we began talking about weird things that had happened around the plant. Jennifer said there was this one piece of new computerized equipment they had in, and no matter how many times they calibrated it, it always slid back to the same mistake. They called in the service people who even changed some parts, but the same thing happened. Other people told some other stories about things like undiscoverable software glitches, and a few about particular people they knew who always seemed to be at the right place at the right time and you wondered how anybody could be that lucky. Each story seemed to be getting a bit richer than the one before, until the flavor of exaggeration was fairly dripping.

Then Bill said, "Now, there was this one time, when a kind of peculiar thing happened in the marketing department. You know, those marketing people sometimes have pretty rich imaginations, but anyway. There was a customer relations manager named Beejay, and she had an elephant that sat on her desk and talked to her.

At first, nobody in the office gave it more than passing notice. They couldn't hear it talk. From time-to-time I would pass by her desk and notice the intense look on Beejay's face and how she seemed to be leaning toward the elephant, and sometimes that she seemed to move her lips a little. Well, we all put it down to an idiosyncrasy and since most of us had one or two of our own, and since Beejay seemed so normal in most other ways no one paid much attention.

One day though, after I got to know Beejay pretty well, we were sitting at lunch, after everybody else had left, and I asked her about the elephant statue. She said that it was a real elephant and told me that it talked to her sometimes.

I said that it didn't look real, and she said that was because it was good at disguising itself. She said that it didn't like to draw much notice and so it had made itself into a 5 inch high ivory model of an elephant. She said it could have made itself into something entirely different if it wanted to.

Well, from time to time Beejay and I talked about the elephant and Beejay told me more about it. She said the nice thing about her elephant was that when she asked for advice her elephant would usually give it to her and it was almost always good advice. For instance, once she had been unsure about whether or not she was qualified for a new supervisor job that had been posted. She wondered if it would be a good or bad idea to let her boss and the Human Resource department know that she wanted to be considered a candidate. She asked the elephant and it advised her to go full speed ahead. She had done that and she got the job.

The thing that was less nice about Beejay's elephant was that it would give her it's opinions and advice sometimes when she didn't ask for them or maybe even really want to hear them. For instance when she had insisted on getting her own way in a meeting with her new staff, though some of them clearly wanted to go in another direction, she came away feeling like a powerful leader. But later the more she thought about it, the more she worried that she had been too autocratic. It was a serious issue in her mind, and it made her feel important to have important things like that to worry about.

Then, suddenly out of the blue, Beejay heard her elephant laughing at her. Beejay told me that to her ears the laughter was so loud that she looked around to see if anyone else could hear it. Beejay asked her elephant, "Why are you laughing? This is a serious issue. Can a supervisor really get the best from her staff if she acts autocratically and stifles their initiative? And what about the ethical issues of abusing power?"

The elephant seemed to raise its trunk a little and it said, 'Beejay, my dear, You aren't nearly as powerful as you think you are and other people aren't nearly as helpless.' And though Beejay asked it to explain further, that's all it would say.

As if that weren't bad enough, about a month later Beejay came out of a meeting with her boss, and was feeling frustrated, resentful and angry because her boss had turned down a proposal she made. Then later, when the anger and resentment wore off and she felt only frustrated and powerless and very sorry for herself. She slumped down at her desk and brooded on how little authority she really had around here, when suddenly she was again jarred by the sound of her elephant's rolling chuckle. And she heard it say, "Beejay, you aren't nearly as helpless as you think you are and other people aren't nearly as powerful."

"C'mon Bill," Max said, "do you really expect us to believe that?"

"Which part?" asked Bill.