Non

breathing from dan-tien

I figured out how I can really make belly breathing effective.

It gives me lots of energy.

Instead of breathing into the dan-tien, I breathe FROM the dan-tien.

Specifically before intentionally starting a breath, I just push out my abdomen and the breath naturally follows, and just before I breathe out I intentionally push out my abdomen again which breathes in a little more air to really fill up the lungs and dantien use the momentum to breathe out while still retaining the energy I got from the breath.

My guess is it uses the kidneys to receive the qi. This strengthens the kidney and also descends qi into the kidney. The kidneys receive the qi from the lungs, and provide the foudnations for the lung to descend the qi from the air we breathe.

• Like 2

Instead of breathing into the dan-tien, I breathe FROM the dan-tien.

Bingo. :)

I think also one should breathe not just from the abdomen but also the pelvic cavity. Both together, perhaps symbolizing a union between the spleen source of postnatal qi and kidneys the source of pre natal qi.

Interesting observation Non.

How long do your dan tien breathing sessions last?

I do between 25 and 60 minutes of dan tien breathing daily, so your little discovery is interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Interesting observation Non.

How long do your dan tien breathing sessions last?

I do between 25 and 60 minutes of dan tien breathing daily, so your little discovery is interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

WEll as much as possible but I haven't set aside a practice. I just do it within my qigong practice, like the 5 tibetans that I haven't done in a while, and other qigongs. I used to do Pranic Breathing, and also the Cleansing Breath from Anthony Robbins. Really should get back into it though. When I do sitting or standing meditation I do it.

Non, try this addition to the practice - take a little bit of time focusing on your air passageways, firstly activate each section of them so as to get a clearer understanding of the effects of muscular input, then do the opposite and relax them all the way - letting go of your air passageways will help the walls of the passageways stay supple, less rigid, and it is a good key towards completely eliminating turbulence from the air passageways. Eliminate all the turbulence, you cant feel yourself breathe, you can have a goose feather right in front of your nose and it will not move, the airflow is that smooth ;)

Gray391.png

One other good key is to initiate the breath from the very bottom of the diaphragm where it overlaps with the psoas muscle - that's where "breathing from the dantien" comes from since the psoas is such a key component.

If you start your breath with the middle of the diaphragm eventually you find it has no root and you get this hiccup when the breath becomes slow enough since the muscular movement needs to resolve somehow - starting at the very bottom of the diaphragm "gives it root" and allows the movement to propagate from one end to the other. :)