Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

what type of yoga should i take?

Pilates is getting boring and I want to focus on alignment, spinal work and releasing tension more than on "strengthening my core" but I don't know what kind to take!

For free at my gym I have (except not all are options cos of my schedule):

ANUSARA YOGA

Yoga in general and Anusara yoga in particular provides one with an enhanced sense of well-being and stress reduction as well as increased flexibility. Anusara emphasizes body alignment for injury prevention and as therapy for sports injury. Strength and endurance are built by practicing the standing poses and arm balances. You should expect continuous movement with varying intensity and a few time-outs. We practice headstand and shoulder stand. Expect partner work and the use of yoga props. Students are not mute; we laugh, talk and socialize. Room temperature is set at approximately 75`F with fans turned on for fresh air circulation; however, you may feel quite warm. Individual instruction and modifications are given and participants are encouraged to ask questions. You are under no pressure to complete all poses and are welcome to observe any class prior to participation. Generally 10 minutes is provide per class for contemplative practice. Mark Fleming, Instructor

IYENGAR YOGA

The standing asana are emphasized to develop foundation, balance, strength, poise, and equanimity within the poses. Other asana -- inversions, backbends, forward bends, and twists are also taught. Students first learn to see and move the gross aspects of the body, the limbs, and then to see the body interrelated. Iyengar yoga involves the yoking (integration of the mind, the body and the spirit. It seek to magnify the life force, the capabilities, and the uniqueness of each person.

The path of yoga leads to liberation - Samadhi. These classes are taught based on the teachings of B.K.S. Iyengar.

KRIPALU - A gentle class for a beginner or OLDER yoga student.

Called the Yoga of consciousness, Kripalu puts great emphasis on proper breath, alignment, coordinating breath and movement, and "honoring the wisdom of the body" -- you work according to the limits of your individual flexibility and strength. Alignment follows awareness. Students learn to focus on the physical and psychological reactions caused by various postures to develop their awareness of mind, body, emotion and spirit. There are three stages in Kripalu yoga. Stage One focuses on learning the postures and exploring your bodies abilities. Stage Two involves holding the postures for an extended time, developing concentration and inner awareness. Stage Three is like a meditation in motion in which the movement from one posture to another arises unconsciously and spontaneously.

Anyone with a back problem or other physical concerns should consult with either Marie or Marianne. Marie and Marianne are both nurse practitioners. Both Katherine & Karen have many years of experience. They have studied Iyenger, both abroad and within the United States. Both studied under Manouso Manos, a senior Iyengar instructor. New students should always introduce themselves to the instructor as "new".

VINYASA

Uses conscious, rhythmic breathing to connect yoga poses in a flowing sequence to build heat, strengthen, and flexibility. Classes start with a warm-up posture and layer in more difficult postures working towards a specific physical goal and the goal of mindful meditation. Classes include sun salutations, breath control or pranayama, dristi or meditative gaze, twisting, backbending, forward bending and balancing poses, inversions, and focused relaxation, or Savasana. Postures are adapted to individual limitations

Other Yoga Classes

Most other yoga classes are a blend of Hatha, Kripalu, and Iyengar & Anusara

Kristi's class (6:15 P.M. - Monday) features lots of breathing techniques and is considered to be tough (advanced).

Katherine's class (11:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. - Saturday) is an Iyengar class. Katherine is a certified Iyengar instructor who has practiced yoga for over 30 years and studied Iyengar since 1980.

Karen's class (Tues. evenings 6:30 P.M. - 8:15 P.M. & Wed. 7:15 P.M. to 8:45 P.M.) is an Iyengar class. Karen has studied Iyengar yoga since 1988 and has taught for over 7 years. Wed. night class is more advances than Tues.

Marianne teaches (Friday 6 P.M. Wednesday 7:17 P.M. and Saturday 7:30 A.M.) This is a gentle class.

Tom Beal's class (M - W - F 9 A.M.) is for the intermediate and advanced yoga student. T - TH Power Yoga is a strenuous advanced class

Mark's classes (Tues / Thurs / Sun 8:30 AM ) are Anasara Yoga classes. These are at an intermediate level with emphasis on upper body strength ( arm Balances and inversions), injury prevention and partner work.

Mark's (Tues / Thurs 7AM) class is a beginning class on " How to get started with Yoga in the Morning".

Elise's classes ( Sun 12:15pm, Wed., 9 A.M. Thurs, 6:30P.M.) are Vinyasa style linking breath to prana and movement. These intermediate classes create a safe but adventurous atmosphere for practicing Yoga.

Amy's classes are gentle moderate Kripalu style classes. This class creates a safe container to release tension in both the physical and emotional bodies. Amy is the author of " Yoga for Depression" (Broadway Books). Her website is www.Yogafordepression.co

i would take the vinyasa myself :) ... or, even, maybe all 3?? (I cant find yoga or tai chi / qi gong classes anywhere...)

Pilates is getting boring and I want to focus on alignment, spinal work and releasing tension more than on "strengthening my core" but I don't know what kind to take!

Hi Lozen,

It's very cool that your gym offers so many yoga classes.

I'll tell you some of my relevant yoga experiences. First, you can look at this two ways, one is by style and the other by teacher. You might find that you resonate with a certain teacher because they emphasize exactly what you want and use words and images that you can respond to. This you'll find by trial and error. Try out the different teachers and see which teacher provides what you need. It would be interesting to hear about your experiences here.

I find it harder and harder to find a yoga instructor that teaches a pure style. I think Anusara emphasizes the heart center, so when you hear an instructor talking about the heart, like 'push your heart forward' etc., they are probaby Anusara influenced (i may be wrong here, going from memory, so take it with a grain of salt). Iyengar is very cool in that the classes are extremely detail focused, right down to how you fold your blanket. You have to be aware of every detail and follow instructions carefully. A class feels like a yoga lesson rather than a work out. You stay in poses longer and the poses don't seem connected together. This has been my experience in nyc with iyengar. Iyengar has interesting use of props like ropes on wall and chairs. I learned alot from the classes.

Vinyasas will be a good work out. You won't get alot of explaining from the teacher like Iyengar, they may come around with occasional hands on correcting, but the thrust is the teacher calls out the poses and you run through them. These classes are self selecting in that the challenged people tend to drop out.

If you are looking to release the spine and get those types of insights, the vinyasa classes might move too fast.

Surprised they don't offer ashtanga, that's very popular at least here in ny. That's the regimented style that appeals to all the stars like gwyneth paltrow. They seldom vary from a sequence called a 'series'.

Anyway, just some thoughts..

T

Try as many as you'd like and return to the one or two or five that grab you. :lol:

Sean

Today my yoga experimentation begins!

I have Flow Yoga Monday at 9 or Friday at 9, Kripalu on Wednesday morning, Gentle Hatha on Friday nights, Vinyasa and Iyengar on Sat. mornings, and Vinyasa, Anusara or Hot Vigorous Yoga on Sundays. That's six styles.

Unfortunately I can't squeeze Yoga Fit, Power Yoga or Eclectic Blend in my schedule, but I have no interest in them anyway.

I'm going to do at least one a week until I figure out which I lile, starting today with either Vinyasa or Hot Vigorous.

Style #1 review

I tried to go to Hot Vigorous Yoga but I saw the instructor by the door and said, "is this yoga?" she looked me up and down and let me know in no uncertain terms that this was not a BEGINNER class, it was VIGOROUS. Whatever, bitch. I went upstairs and did 42 (assisted) dips and pullups and 75 barbell thrusters and then did my own hydrotherapy: sauna, cold shower, hot tub, cold shower, hot shower, cold shower.

One down, five to go.

I guess someone can move this to my log if it's no longer taoist discussion but rather the ramblings of Yael. ;)

I guess someone can move this to my log if it's no longer taoist discussion but rather the ramblings of Yael. ;)

Naww, it's great. I'm looking forward to your reviews.

One down, five to go.

Work permitting, I'm going to try Kundalini Yoga this week..kundalini yoga seems to be a lot like chigung except it's done in an asana context. I also like the focus on glands and the health aspect..seems like lots to learn there..

T

I tried to go to Hot Vigorous Yoga but I saw the instructor by the door and said, "is this yoga?" she looked me up and down and let me know in no uncertain terms that this was not a BEGINNER class, it was VIGOROUS. Whatever, bitch.

LOL.

Style Review #2 of 7: Gentle Hatha Yoga

I went to Marianne's gentle hatha yoga class, and I think I found myself a teacher!! It was VERY relaxing, lots of good stretches, Marianne was very genuine and not fake like so many yoga teachers, and when she named asanas she didn't do it in a pretentious way like so many other instructors, who will say things like, "Okay, now we're going to do ladeedeedasana" and expect everyone to understand it right away. She explained everything very well and the spiritual aspects of it and wisdom she shared was intense, mostly things I've learned elsewhere, but great to hear it in its yogic application. I felt my crown and third eye really open up, and the stretches were awesome (though I did realize my knee is still hurting from a martial arts class two or three weeks ago, so that kind of sucks). Very gentle but still challenging. We did a lot of relaxation and focusing on breathing, too, as well as setting goals/intent for the class... and the cooling breathing excercises were excellent. Great class!!

Styles left to review: Anusara, Iyengar, Flow, Kripalu, Vinyasa

Edited by Lozen

Today I went to Vinyasa Yoga with Elise, who was the same instructor who was subbing for the Vigorous Yoga class who gave me dirty looks and told me it wasn't a class for BEGINNERS. I really didn't like her, and that was even before she spent all of class doing downward facing dogs. I felt that the description was inaccurate because we didn't do any breathwork at all, and most of the poses were too hard, not to mention the fact that I'm sure I annoyed our instructor by just not doing downward dogs. Some of the backbends and stretches felt good, but I could tell this was not the class for me. Three down, four to go.

hey there plant lover,

I realize this has been posted awhile ago, but let me know if you decide to take anusara, i've always been interested and plus I've just heard it's a lot of fun. I've been taking mostly vinyasa and classical hatha yoga classes...but am also intersted in pilates. I'm kinda curious why you didn't like the classes and what your thoughts are on pilates machine classes, if any...

I will keep you posted! Haven't been since that last one but I have four more styles to check out.

I liked pilates okay, but it got kind of boring, and I feel that I could use to work on my spine more than my core (I already do a lot of core strengthening), as well as stretching (I do a lot of really intense workouts and it helps a lot) plus the whole relaxation/moving meditation thing. I just stopped FEELING as good after pilates. I was mostly going because I was unaligned, and I'm pretty aligned now! I love the gentle hatha class and how there's enough variations that I can get a really good stretch even if I'm not doing it "right." And I feel so good and warm and fuzzy after. I didn't get that in pilates. Also I've got a very low attention span and we did the same routine every class--with only a little variation--and it's not like my mood made it different or I was good enough to notice results. I have never been to a machine class though, this was all pilates matt. Planks and push-ups and hundreds. Oh my.

Sign in to follow this