Jetsun

Healing methods for more Yin people

I have been doing the Water Method and some other more Yin based healing methods on and off for some time now trying to get my nervous system to let go and relax, but after reading some of SF Jane's book and BK Frantzis material it seems this method was good for both of them because they both appear to be hot heads, outwardly aggressive, Yang type people. With their already strong Yang and anger the Water Method would cool those flames and bring balance, but what im starting to wonder about myself is that is doing a Yin healing method still good for someone who is already perhaps too Yin? As a symptom my body sometimes gets too cold after doing the method so I have to go and exercise or walk to counter that, perhaps that is a bad sign?

Most of the healing methods I have encountered seem to be Yin methods which allow you to soften up but are there any god Yang healing methods around anyone knows of? Does healing always have to be Yin by nature to soften your defences and relax rather than hold on and fight?

Has anyone ever attained healing through doing an aggressive Yang martial art of some sort?

I remember SereneBLue not getting any results with Frantzis` stuff but getting great results with KAP. KAP is much more yang but is a balanced system overal.

Many yoga systems are quite fire and yang based in a sense. AShtange yoga gave me a hot very active energy. I doN`t recomend it though for various reasons physical safety for one.

WHen I did tai chi I thought it gave a nice yin yang balance bacayse you have both yielding moves that are totally yin and you have aggressive moves that are totally yang. I could feel them generate different types of energy.

I remember SereneBLue not getting any results with Frantzis` stuff but getting great results with KAP. KAP is much more yang but is a balanced system overal.

Many yoga systems are quite fire and yang based in a sense. AShtange yoga gave me a hot very active energy. I doN`t recomend it though for various reasons physical safety for one.

WHen I did tai chi I thought it gave a nice yin yang balance bacayse you have both yielding moves that are totally yin and you have aggressive moves that are totally yang. I could feel them generate different types of energy.

Is KAP a form of Yoga? can you direct me to where I can get some more information or links about it?

I tried Ashtanga Yoga at one point but I came to the conclusion that for me at least it was too aggressive in that you have all these tensions in your body most of which are psychological in nature and forcing them open doesn't feel as natural or as healthy as letting them go and softening in a Qigong way. I once got told that Ashtnaga's teacher had two main students and he taught a softer, gentler, more compassionate form of Yoga to one of his students which was never popularised while the other was taught to Ashtanga.

Is KAP a form of Yoga? can you direct me to where I can get some more information or links about it?

I tried Ashtanga Yoga at one point but I came to the conclusion that for me at least it was too aggressive in that you have all these tensions in your body most of which are psychological in nature and forcing them open doesn't feel as natural or as healthy as letting them go and softening in a Qigong way. I once got told that Ashtnaga's teacher had two main students and he taught a softer, gentler, more compassionate form of Yoga to one of his students which was never popularised while the other was taught to Ashtanga.

KAP means Kundalini Awakening Process and is mainly a form of meditation and energywork aimed at raising and integrating kundalini fast but in a balanced way. Phore, Kate, MAl, Sinno, Elevate, Broken and several others practice it. It is a very good system for those it works for whereas some did not get much out of it. It incorporates methods from yoga, qigong, bon, sufism and a bit of the western tradition. It was invented by Dr Glenn Morris.

I agree with you on the ashtanga. Krisnamacharya who taught ashtanga to phatabhi jois mainy taight a softer form of yoga which has lived on through his son Desikachar. His style is taught int he west and is an inspiration for many styles. Krishnamacharyas other main student Iyengar eventually made Iyengar yoga which is very different from what he was orginally taught. Very good in many ways but a bit machine like in my taste. I prefer yogaworks yoga because it has the technique of Iyengar but does not focus as rigidly on it and it has more of the flow of Ashtanga and overal is very balanced and nice.

Mantak chias system is rather yang in many ways.

what im starting to wonder about myself is that is doing a Yin healing method still good for someone who is already perhaps too Yin? As a symptom my body sometimes gets too cold after doing the method so I have to go and exercise or walk to counter that, perhaps that is a bad sign?

I wouldn't assume that the yin methods are not right for you, just because you get a chill afterwards. I went through a period of several months in which my practice left me with intense shivers. But I learned to relax during the shiver, and realized how useful it is. And soon, the phase ended, and I ended up with more endemic heat than before. So it may just be part of the process, not necessarily a sign that something is wrong.

Personally, I love practicing in the steam room or sauna, so there is as little tension in my body, as possible. And I get great deep stretches there, as well.

I agree with you on the ashtanga. Krisnamacharya who taught ashtanga to phatabhi jois mainy taight a softer form of yoga which has lived on through his son Desikachar. His style is taught int he west and is an inspiration for many styles. Krishnamacharyas other main student Iyengar eventually made Iyengar yoga which is very different from what he was orginally taught. Very good in many ways but a bit machine like in my taste. I prefer yogaworks yoga because it has the technique of Iyengar but does not focus as rigidly on it and it has more of the flow of Ashtanga and overal is very balanced and nice.

Mantak chias system is rather yang in many ways.

Ah yeah i'm getting my Ashtanga's and Iyengar's mixed up. Thanks for the info on KAP I will look it up

Ah yeah i'm getting my Ashtanga's and Iyengar's mixed up. Thanks for the info on KAP I will look it up

I would read the practice journals of some of the people mentioned as that gives you more in depth udnerstanding of what they do everyday and how it feels and effects them.

YOu could try the secret smile right away as its a key kap practice. There are isntructions for it in one of varjasatvas posts here so you can dig it up. Just google secret msile and thetaobums or soemthign and you should find it.

Edited by markern

I have been doing the Water Method and some other more Yin based healing methods on and off for some time now trying to get my nervous system to let go and relax, but after reading some of SF Jane's book and BK Frantzis material it seems this method was good for both of them because they both appear to be hot heads, outwardly aggressive, Yang type people. With their already strong Yang and anger the Water Method would cool those flames and bring balance, but what im starting to wonder about myself is that is doing a Yin healing method still good for someone who is already perhaps too Yin? As a symptom my body sometimes gets too cold after doing the method so I have to go and exercise or walk to counter that, perhaps that is a bad sign?

Most of the healing methods I have encountered seem to be Yin methods which allow you to soften up but are there any god Yang healing methods around anyone knows of? Does healing always have to be Yin by nature to soften your defences and relax rather than hold on and fight?

Has anyone ever attained healing through doing an aggressive Yang martial art of some sort?

Hiya

Some thoughts-

Finding a practice that's suits your constitution and temperament is like finding a person you can really be a friend with rather than some one who you can just get on with.

On a further level finding the right way to do the practice at any particular time is like harmonising that friendship even more.

So, spending some moments before you begin your practice to LISTEN to your body and see what it needs I find really helpful- if I'm feeling cold or stagnant I do some more vigorous things- shaking and slapping the body is great! If I'm feeling in the flow and quiet I tend to make my practice more meditative and still- sitting or static standing postures- if I feel OK in my body but my mind is agitated/bustling I might do some taichi or slow moving qigong.

Adaptability with qigong is a wonderful thing, but unfortunately is hard to teach because it's better done individually rather than in a group.

A