Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Good introductory book on herbalism?

What's a good book to start with, for learning about herbalism?

Not Chinese or five elements herbalism particularly, just general and/or western.

Many thanks,

I

What's a good book to start with, for learning about herbalism?

Not Chinese or five elements herbalism particularly, just general and/or western.

Many thanks,

I

oops, I suggested reading Teeguarden but then re-read your comment about 'not' chinese particularly..

T

Edited by thaddeus

Penelope Ody is really good, her books (The Complete Medicinal Herbal, I believe it's called) will briefly cover (like a page for each) five element theory and Ayurveda but mostly focus on herbs. Each page on herbs is 8.5X11, full color, with lots of photos and clear, easy-to-understand writing. A lot of people like Michael Tierra, his book on Western herbs isn't bad, if a little complicated, but he does go into kitchen herbs a lot which is nice. I forget the author, but The New Holistic Herbal is a good intro that goes into different systems of the body, and most of the herbs are available in England...

If your goal is to get your hands dirty, then definitely start with the Herbal Home Remedy Book by Joyce Wardell. She teaches how to make tinctures, glycerites, salves, medicinal wines, vinegars, syrups, lozenges, herbal oils, etc. and also talks about ethcial wildcrafting, plant ID, storing, etc. There are 25 herbs they go

into, and a lot of great recipes. There's also "medicine stories" at the beginning of each c hapter. And the last chapter has some exercises on learning to develop your 7th sense, and seeking balance. It's the most

accessible herb book I have found thus far.

what kind of thing are you looking to learn, Ian?

Practical useful immediate stuff - The Green Witch by Barbara Griggs type thing.. for looking up a remedy for a cold or a sprain or such..

or to grasp the wider theory and have reference about individual herbs - The Essential Book of Herbal Medicine by Simon Y Mills is very reliable.

what kind of thing are you looking to learn, Ian?

Not sure, not enquiring on own behalf. Thank you for suggestions, all.

Sign in to follow this