Marblehead

Taoist Philosophy - Chapter 92

The Tao Never Does

The Tao is constantly nameless,
It never does,
Yet through it
Everything is done.

Were marquises and kings able to maintain it,
The Ten Thousand Things would transform on their own.
Having transformed,
Were their desires to become active,
The Sage would subdue them
With the nameless simplicity.
Having subdued them,
Having stripped them of desire,
Quiescence is achieved,
And the world arrives at peace of its own accord.
He would not disgrace them.
By not being disgraced,
They will be tranquil
And Heaven and Earth will of themselves
Be correct and right.

(It has become clear that as we live in the human world, total abstention from activities is impossible, and so one comes to the resultant attitude of a mild passivity and indulgent quietness as the wisest mode of life. In the following selection, we have probably the most complete description of the doctrine of inaction, based on the imitation of Nature and the silent workings of the Universe, and recommending calm passivity and a mild and mellow attitude as the wise man’s way of life.)

The Imitation Of Nature To Arrive At Peace

Though Heaven and Earth are great, they act impartially on all things. Though the things of the creation are many, the principle of peace is the same. Though the people in a nation are many, their sovereign is the king. The king imitates Earth and lets things be completed according to Nature. Therefore it is said, “The kings of primitive times did nothing.” In that, they were only following the character of Nature. By judging the names of titles and ranks in the light of Tao, the king’s position becomes established. By judging the distinction of position in the light of Tao, the duties of the king and his ministers became clear. By judging ability in the light of Tao, the officials of the country carry out their duties. By judging everything in the light of Tao, all things respond to our needs. Therefore Tao is that which pervades all creation.

Therefore it is said, “In ancient times, those who helped in sustaining the life of the people had no desires themselves and the world lived in plenty, did nothing, and all things were reformed, remained deep at rest and the people lived in peace.”

Edited by Marblehead

(It has become clear that as we live in the human world, total abstention from activities is impossible, and so one comes to the resultant attitude of a mild passivity and indulgent quietness as the wisest mode of life.

Nicely put, Marbles. It's interesting how passivity enables one to see the outside structure of something, whereas passion enables understanding from the inside out.

(It has become clear that as we live in the human world, total abstention from activities is impossible, and so one comes to the resultant attitude of a mild passivity and indulgent quietness as the wisest mode of life.

Nicely put, Marbles. It's interesting how passivity enables one to see the outside structure of something, whereas passion enables understanding from the inside out.

Thanks although those are not my words but the words of one of the translators but it is obvious that I liked it enough to include it in my collection.

Yeah, I can generally maintain my passivity unless I am really teed off. When that happens I don't even like myself.

Sign in to follow this