Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Tao Teh Ching Subforum FAQ

Hello people,

The following is a FAQ I've written regarding the Tao Teh Ching subforum. This is an open thread, so you can feel free to ask questions or make comments. Nothing is written in stone here, things can and will change, but for the meantime I think it's important that the general purpose of this subforum be followed, that general purpose is outlined in the following FAQ.

Tao Teh Ching Subforum FAQ

Why do you feel a need for a Tao Teh Ching subforum?

The Tao Teh Ching subforum is intended to provide people a resource where they can examine the Tao Teh Ching indepth, exploring the philisophical, historical, and literary meaning of this text. Although this can be done in the Taoist Discussion forum, it can't be done as easily and often times the discussions can be lost in the shuffle. This forum allows for easy access to specific chapters and an easy way to reference discussions on a specific chapter without having to start new topics.

Who can post new threads in the Tao Teh Ching subforum?

Anyone can post topics to the Tao Teh Ching subforum.

Are there any rules regarding what can be posted in the Tao Teh Ching subforum?

Posts should pertain directly to the Tao Teh Ching, I-Ching, Chuang Tzu, or other Taoist or Chinese Texts that relate to Taoism. Discussions of general philosophy should be posted in the Taoist Discussions section of the Tao Bums. An example of an on topic post would be a discussion about the Three Jewels as they are presented in the Tao Teh Ching. An example of an off topic discussion would be a discussion of the Three Jewels as they apply to charity work.

Also if you are posting a chapter for the Chapter Study of the Tao Teh Ching, that post should follow certain guidelines, including starting off with a translation of that chapter by John C. H. Wu, English and Feng, and Richard Henricks. If you have your own translation or comments, please add it after the first post. Please do not post chapters out of turn. If you have a particular question about a chapter, then you are more than welcome to post your question, but as far as the Chapter Study goes, please do not start a new chapter study until we have reached that chapter. If you start a Chapter Study thread out of turn, then it will be moved to another section of the forum.

What should I do if I have translated a chapter of the Tao Te Ching and want to post it on the forum?

If you want to share your translation, you should post those translations within one of the TTC Study chapter headings. If there isn't currently a chapter heading, then you can either start one for that chapter with your own translation included, or if you're not sure how to do that, ask a moderator to start one for you. The reason for this is to make it easier for people to find topics that they are looking for. Keep in mind that once we have reached that chapter in the Chapter Study, your thread will most likely be merged with it.

I see you also have topics for the Chuang Tzu and I-Ching, why is that?

Because there is a need for a place to discuss those texts as well and they have influenced the perception of the Tao Teh Ching. With that in mind it seems only natural that a place should be set aside for a discussion about their meaning.

What should I do if I post a comment in a language other than English?

Unless you're asking for an accurate translation, then you should provide a translation for the passage or comment. If you are posting more than just a few lines, then I would suggest posting your comment in the Chinese Language Subforum.

Will these rules change in the future?

Everything changes, so the rules will most likely change as well. If there is a need for the Tao Teh Ching subforum to evolve in another way, it will. No one is of the mind to rule with an iron fist, but rather the purpose is to ensure that people have a place where they can discuss the topics at hand without distractions.

I know this is a short FAQ and you might have other questions. If you do, please feel free to ask them here and I'll be happy to answer them.

Aaron

Edit- This FAQ was edited to further clarify what is allowed within the Tao Teh Ching subforum.

Edited by Twinner

Hi Aaron,

We have had a few threads on the general discussion forum on the Art of War and discussed moving the somewhere more appropriate. Does Sun Tzu fall under this umbrella labelled the Tao Te Ching, etc. in your opinion or would like me to ask the admins for a separate sub-forum for the 13 chapters like e.g. Manitou did with the Nei-Yeh texts / discussion?

Hi Aaron,

We have had a few threads on the general discussion forum on the Art of War and discussed moving the somewhere more appropriate. Does Sun Tzu fall under this umbrella labelled the Tao Te Ching, etc. in your opinion or would like me to ask the admins for a separate sub-forum for the 13 chapters like e.g. Manitou did with the Nei-Yeh texts / discussion?

I have no problem with you posting those chapters here. If you want to go ahead. This is really a place for Ancient Chinese texts concerning Taoism and I think many Taoists would be very interested in reviewing and discussing the Art of War.

Aaron

Just a heads up. In order to make it easier to find chapter threads, I'm asking that people post their translations under the TTC Chapter headings. I would also ask that conversations regarding chapters be restricted to those headings as well, unless it is sufficiently esoteric or off the wall to warrant it's own topic. The reason is to keep things organized and easy to find, so that if someone does have questions about a chapter, they can refer to that chapter in order to ask their question, without having to start a new thread or look through several threads on the same topic.

Before anyone gets too upset, remember that we have already done this, it just wasn't in the official FAQ.

If you disagree, then this is the place to talk about it. This is a community, so please tell me what you're thinking, I'm not a mind reader.

Aaron

Please post where the three main translations can be found for the TTC Study: Wu, English/Feng, Hendricks... so some can copy / paste and start new chapters. We have been sidelined enough.

Please post where the three main translations can be found for the TTC Study: Wu, English/Feng, Hendricks... so some can copy / paste and start new chapters. We have been sidelined enough.

Hello Dawei,

The translations can be found at the http://www.terebess.hu/english/tao.html website under the Tao Teh Ching section.

Aaron

I have made an addition to the FAQ, in particular this addresses comments in other languages. To clarify, if you are going to make a comment in a language other than English in the Tao Teh Ching Subforum, you should provide a translation for the comment, unless you are asking for a translation. If you are posting a lot of text, then you should probably post your comment in the Chinese Language Subforum.

Aaron

Sign in to follow this