Sign in to follow this  
3bob

K. Gibran

By K. Gibran

On Self-Knowledge

And a man said, "Speak to us of Self-Knowledge."

And he answered, saying:

Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights.

But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge.

You would know in words that which you have always know in thought.

You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams.

And it is well you should.

The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea;

And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes.

But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure;

And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line.

For self is a sea boundless and measureless.

Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth."

Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path."

For the soul walks upon all paths.

The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed.

The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.

"WITHOUT meditation, there is no self-knowledge; without self-knowledge, there is no meditation. So, one must begin to know what one is. You cannot go far without beginning near, without understanding your daily process of thoughts, feelings and actions.

In other words, thought must understand its own workings, and when you see yourself in operation, you will observe that thought moves from the known to the known. You cannot think about the unknown. That which you know is not real because what you know is only always in time.

To be free from the net of time is the important concern, not to think about the unknowable, because you cannot think about what is not known. The answers to your prayers are all of the known. To receive the unknown, the mind itself must move into the unknown, it must become one with it. The mind is the result of the thought process, the result of time, and this thought process must come to an end. The mind cannot fathom that which is eternal, timeless; therefore, the mind must be free of time, or the time process of the mind must be dissolved. Only when the mind is completely free from yesterday, and is therefore not using the present as a means to the future, is it capable of receiving the eternal...

Therefore, our concern in meditation is to know oneself, not superficially, but the whole content of the inner, hidden consciousness. Without knowing all that and being free of its conditioning, you cannot possibly go beyond the mind's limits. That is why the thought process must cease, and for this cessation there must be knowledge of oneself. Therefore, meditation is the beginning of true wisdom, which is the deeper understanding of one's own mind and heart."

- - - J. Krishnamurti

Gibran and Krishnamurti -

Thank you both for sharing these words of wisdom - two beautiful quotes from two beautiful minds.

"WITHOUT meditation, there is no self-knowledge; without self-knowledge, there is no meditation. So, one must begin to know what one is. You cannot go far without beginning near, without understanding your daily process of thoughts, feelings and actions.

In other words, thought must understand its own workings, and when you see yourself in operation, you will observe that thought moves from the known to the known. You cannot think about the unknown. That which you know is not real because what you know is only always in time.

To be free from the net of time is the important concern, not to think about the unknowable, because you cannot think about what is not known. The answers to your prayers are all of the known. To receive the unknown, the mind itself must move into the unknown, it must become one with it. The mind is the result of the thought process, the result of time, and this thought process must come to an end. The mind cannot fathom that which is eternal, timeless; therefore, the mind must be free of time, or the time process of the mind must be dissolved. Only when the mind is completely free from yesterday, and is therefore not using the present as a means to the future, is it capable of receiving the eternal...

Therefore, our concern in meditation is to know oneself, not superficially, but the whole content of the inner, hidden consciousness. Without knowing all that and being free of its conditioning, you cannot possibly go beyond the mind's limits. That is why the thought process must cease, and for this cessation there must be knowledge of oneself. Therefore, meditation is the beginning of true wisdom, which is the deeper understanding of one's own mind and heart."

- - - J. Krishnamurti

Yes thank u indeed CowTao, my friend, and I hope u are well! BLESSINGS!!!

Sign in to follow this