LaoTzu21

80 10 10 diet

basically what it is is a raw vegan diet.

No because "raw vegan" does not specify the ratio of nutrients, if you take too much nuts, seeds and nut butters then you are not following the 80 10 10. Any disproportional deviation from this ratio based on a weekly average is not considered to be following the 80 10 10 ratio.

Also, Dr. Douglas Graham said that there are 2 versions of the 80 10 10:

The first version is the one where you can eat anything as long as you keep the ratio. this includes rice, meat, and anything. Geoff Lawton said that the healthiest workers he met are the south american ones and their food is a lot of starchy carbs with a little meat and a selection of vegs. this sounds like the 80 10 10 ratio.

The second version is the 80 10 10 RV (raw vegan).

also, Dr. Douglas advocates the principles of natural hygiene which includes reducing sulfurous foods, fermented products among other things.

Dr. Douglas said that there is a difference between thriving and surviving and that for a person feeling ok on a non 80 10 10 diet is a testament of his adaptability not necessarily that that his diet is ideal for him. thriving is feeling the best that you can be and having great health. surviving is eating whatever is available or convenient. humans have great adaptability but Dr. Douglas said that their digestive system hasn't evolved much from the period where they used to live in the tropics where there was abundant fruits. So he said that we should basically eat like our closest primate relatives.

i have been researching and trying many things in the past but now i am totally convinced after trying the 80 10 10. i have felt better on his diet in two weeks than i have ever felt.

i am disillusioned with the supplement industry even before reading his book but more so after reading it. he said that we are supposed to get those nutrients balanced in organic foods that were grown in a healthy spectrum of microorganisms. when the soil is fed with composting organic matter and not drenched in *cides, there will be a symbiosis between the plant and the microorganisms and they will create a protective shield around the plant and provide a variety of nutrients scarcely available in conventionally grown produce. look up compost tea and the brix scale.

so our priority should be on making organic produce more available not making supplements. which further supports the drive towards permaculture.

i read all of his book and i suggest you read it too. i am currently researching cold climate options.

5114pA7RNKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Dandplantain_3_web.jpg

Edited by Desert Eagle
  • Like 1

Yes.. i'm another one of those that think an all raw diet is probably best.

biologyofkundalini.com pretty much says that it's the best way to go for awakening kundalini. Other authors have written about this.

The issue is doing it RIGHT.

as for candida issues with sugar... I think it's best to just take into account not only glycemic index but also glycemic LOAD. That makes many fruits ok if their glycemic load is low.. but still it's always best to have both low. Select Berries, apples, pears, grapefruit, etc.

Candida is a big issue now. up until now people have thought that lowering sugar intake cure candida, but many people have done this and haven't noticed much improvement. That's because lowering sugar intake (and they really mean PROCESSED sugars AND carbs) even fruit starve your own internal floras. Grains are not too digestible either.

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/carbohydrates/are-humans-starch-eaters.html Though this article doesn't take into account the sprouting of starchy food.

So, for curing candida it's actually best to be low in fat. Many people make the mistake of eating less carbs and replace it with fat. Fat increases insulin resistance so that it feeds candida when sugar gets into the blood instead of being digested by the cells. That's no good. The other issue is that by having cooked food fruit is no longer any good for the candida diet because your body will become acidic with cooked food. So perhaps the best way to be candida free is the raw diet. I prefer more greens, and protein though, but still not as much as bodybuilders would say since in the raw state you absorb much more protein, and since most of the protein is found in FREE amino acid form it's the most digestible form of protein. There are also much more enzymes and that's protein as well but I'm not sure it counts as protein on the label. The other plus is that with the raw vegan lifestyle you RETAIN muscle much more than if you were on a meat eating or even cooked diet.

That said... I'm not sure 80-10-10 diet is for everyone. It's possible that one needs to go through a cleanse for a period of time to strengthen the body before one can enjoy a frugivore diet.

For a low sugar 80-10-10 diet look to the Hippocrates nutrition programs.

In all honesty though, I think there needs to be more research. There's a big divide between Douglas Graham's 80-10-10 diet and the low sugar raw diets like Hippocrates institute ones. One thing is for sure fat intake needs to be limited.

Edited by Non

different perspective:

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/how-steve-pavlina-almost-killed-me/

There is no reason from a biological point of view why vegan raw food diet would be good to us. For some people it seems to work very well, at least for a while. Just don't get too dogmatic about it, because for some people eating that way leads to deficiencies down the road and then you will need to reconsider your diet. I myself do much better with high-fat paleo style diet so each of us is different I guess..

From a biological point of view? If you truly followed the scientific method I'm sure you would find that the right vegan diet WILL work. It's about following the right diet. Just because there are many fad diets out there and misinformation and just plain ignorance doesn't mean that a raw vegan diet can work. Yes you can attain all nutrients from raw foods. It's not that hard to see. If vegan diets can work, raw vegan diets can work.

From a biological point of view? If you truly followed the scientific method I'm sure you would find that the right vegan diet WILL work. It's about following the right diet. Just because there are many fad diets out there and misinformation and just plain ignorance doesn't mean that a raw vegan diet can work. Yes you can attain all nutrients from raw foods. It's not that hard to see. If vegan diets can work, raw vegan diets can work.

I'm quite certain that a vegan or a raw vegan diet wouldn't work for me despite how much I tried. I have experimented with food quite a lot and read a shitton about nutrition, and have come to the conclusion that in order to keep my body functioning so that it doesn't give me trouble, I need to feed it animal products. My constitution isn't that strong as with some people so that might have something to do with it. Also I've found that many vegetarian/vegan promoting "scientific" books (Fuhrman's stuff & the China study come to mind) are quite heavily laced with ideology due to which they make some very strange claims about animal products in general.

Of course I don't have anything against veggies & berries & etc. , and they are a big part of my diet. I just don't thrive only on them..

Recently, I am becoming a vegetarian. I am doing this for a multitude of reasons. My cardiologist thought it would be an optimal diet for me. My weight loss efforts have stagnated so I want to shake things up a little. One of Mantak Chia's books recommended a balanced PH diet. I picked up a book by Robert O. Young about the balanced PH diet (LaoTzu21 - this may be something that could help with the IBS). I am going into this slowly - only making one change in my diet a weak, so I can see the effects of the individual elements of the diet.

David

i first came across the 80 10 10 diet when i was researching frank zappas band member robert martin. who is an avid health fanatic. he recommended the 80 10 10 diet and said this will increase anyones energy to new heights. i then researched a few youtube diaries of them taking this diet and all seem to be more vibrant and full of energy. basically what it is is a raw vegan diet. i was wondeirng if anyone can shed more light on this subject. as im curious to try it to solve my i.b.s problems im currently at my wits end with it and i want to do anything within my power to manage it better.

If you really want to be done with IBS then do a blood test for food sensitivity that is a mediator release test like the on from L.E.A.P.

Or you can do like I did and spend several years trying out different diets to no avail,maybe temporary relief and then same old IBS.

good luck

There are some issues that one has to consider if going into the raw diet.

The cooling nature of raw foods, and the fact that it works the spleen moreso than the cooked diet, and dampness. If one modifies a raw lifestyle to take into account all of these one can do it. Or one can make a transitionary diet as well.

The other thing is that right now there seems to be a divide between low fat/high sugar raw diets like 80-10-10 and low sugar diets like hippocrates. Not everyone digests carbohydrates the same, or have the same capacities to. Also lifestyle choices like enough exercise, etc. Douglas Graham of 80-10-10 sees that nobody should be eating anything other than fruits, with the occasional other types of foods as a condiment. This may be what our ancestors had, but the problem is that we are not the same as our ancestors the homo-erectus. We also have to take into account other adaptations we have made in our bodies, and also the current conditions we're in, including diseases. People have sugar problems, candida, etc. So a period of cleansing and accomodation too more exercise might be in order to be able to withstand a higher fruit diet, so it doesn't feed candida, does not jack up blood sugar, and neurochemicals. Just look for lower to medium glycemic fruits and introduce them at the right pace.

Another is that there needs to be more research on sprouts. The current opinion is that all grains seeds and beans have anti-nutrients. Some still think that sprouted doesn't make them any less nutrient consuming. There's hardly any empirical research though. One can sprout seeds until the tails become long like the normal mung bean sprout, or one can sprout them with short tails to retain the properties of what's in the seed. So the information data on sprouts are usually of the long-tail types, and then raw beans well.. nobody eats raw unsprouted beans. Cooked is acid forming. Starches in sprouts turn to simpler carbs, and fats break down, proteins break down into amino acids, all with the help of enzymes which become active only once enzyme inhibitors in normal raw seeds and deactivated, and anti nutritional factors also become lessened. Even so... sprouts shouldn't be eaten too much since some can just slow down digestion because of the complex carbs. It's best only consumed for their protein and enzymes. Ie, a handful vs a bowl full of them.

Hippocrates institute Brian Clement says the main components of their diets are sprouts and greens (grasses), seaweeds and green algae, and blue-green algae. The rest are condiments or supplementary. For sure in terms of medicinal perspective Hippocrates is the way to go if you're into the raw thing.. and well 80-10-10, I guess it depends. One can fluctuate depending on time of the year, and body composition.

Edited by Non