Sign in to follow this  
3bob

T.T.C. 13

T.T.C. 13.

"Welcome disgrace as a pleasant surprise.

Prize calamities as your own body."

Why should we "welcome disgrace as a pleasant

surprise"?

Because a lowly state is a boon:

Getting it is a pleasant surprise,

And so is losing it!

That is why we should "welcome disgrace as a pleasant

surprise."

Why should we "prize calamities as our own body"?

Because our body is the very source of our calamities.

If we have no body, what calamities can we have?

Hence, only he who is willing to give his body for the

sake of the world is fit to be entrusted with the world.

Only he who can do it with love is worthy of being the

steward of the world".

Okay. So, do you want to talk about this chapter or are you just reinforcing a thought of your own? Hehehe.

Actually, there are a couple concepts in that chapter that could be discussed if anyone is interested.

Peace & Love!

Ah, Tzu and Tao, two of my favorite topics. My favorite translator is Wing Tsit Chan. But I also compare him with many other translaters, including

Beck Lindauer

Blackney LinYutang

Bynner Mabry

Byrn McDonald

Chan Merel

Cleary Mitchell

Crowley Muller

Feng-English Red Pine

Ganson Rosenthal

Gibbs Ta Kao

Hansen Walker

Headless Wayism

Kiyoashi Wieger

LaFargue Legge

They all can be found at http://www.wayist.org/ttc%20compared/index.htm

This way an English speaker gets a better idea of the differing possibilities as well as similarities.

TTC 13 (trans W.T. Chan)

13.1 Be apprehensive when receiving favour or disgrace. Regard great trouble as seriously as you regard your body.

13.2 What is meant by being apprehensive when receiving favour or disgrace? Favour is considered inferior. Be apprehensive when you receive them and also be apprehensive when you lose them. This is what is meant by being apprehensive when receiving favour or disgrace.

13.3 What does it mean to regard great trouble as seriously as you regard your body? The reason why I have great trouble is that I have a body (and am attached to it). If I have no body, What trouble could I have?

13.4 Therefore he who values the world as his body may be entrusted with the empire. He who loves the world as his body may be entrusted with the empire.

Favor and disgrace are given to us by others. Anything given to us by others can be snatched away just as esily as it was given. When we become dependant upon what others give us we will always be at their mercy and we will never find inner peace and contentment.

Indeed, in Taoism, valuing one's Self is of great importance. Kinda' like respect: if we do not respect ourself there will be very few who will respect us. On the other hand, if we show we can be trusted others will trust in us.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this