Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

Practicing morality

In a lot of the Eastern systems, philosophies, etc. that I've studied, practicing morality of some kind or another is considered the foundation for progressing on to meditation. In Buddhism there are the five moral precepts, in yoga it is the yamas and niyamas. But what if you are already say, a drug addict, who is violating the 5th precept of Buddhism not to take intoxicants? You can't just tell him or her to walk away from the drug to adhere to a set of moral practices cold turkey.

That is what I never understood: what if you already are addicted to something that would cause you to violate the moral foundation of these systems? You wouldn't be able to meditate until you had a handle on the addictive behavior that is causing you to break these precepts.

How long do you have to practice the ethical basis of say, yoga, before you can advance to the meditative aspects of it? Is it different for different people?

How long do you have to practice the ethical basis of say, yoga, before you can advance to the meditative aspects of it? Is it different for different people?

Yes, I think it is different for different people. Some people are naturally calm so it would be much easier for them. Others are hyper to some degree and it would be more difficult for them. And, as you mentioned, being addicted to any substance would be a blockage to one's advancement.

And just to make sure I don't sound like a hypocrite, I still smoke (legal mini-cigars).

Peace & Love!

I think that practicing "morality" probably just makes some aspects of meditation easier. No "moral" judgement per se, but if you're "strung out" on something you might not have access to your essential "baseline" consciousness quite as easily.

Paradoxically I've found meditation to have more effects that drugs (small experimentation here and there ;-)) I've also found that my small experience with altered states actually made it easier to accept some meditative "experiences".

In addition keeping one's body "cleaner- running" whether though nutrition, exercise, qi-gong or just what you focus on in behavioral/thought/emotional terms on a day to day basis can be crucial when certain things come up (like pain for example).

The other reason for "morality" practice is IMO (and small experience) is as a safeguard during certain phases that are linked to some meditative practice. Falling back into certain "foundations" can help when (if) the proverbial "shit hits the fan". Which it might not for everyone, but IME certainly did...

Finally, I'm coming to "get" that "morality" in some respects is also a byproduct of (some) meditative practice. So might as well get to it both ways ;)

Sign in to follow this