Sign in to follow this  
That Guy

Bear Style Staff Kung Fu

I would like to learn from him, anyone have some info on his school and if his lineage is legit?

I've never heard of this master, though something about this style seems legit. Normally I'm on guard when it comes to people who just "create their own style", especially when they make claims like, "oh I just picked it up somewhere." That usually means they made it up by themselves after watching some kung fu movies or something, or that they aren't part of a credible lineage. Usually I'd suggest going to their website, or calling in, and asking who their teacher was. Most credible martial arts schools cite their lineage.

If they don't have a website or a contact number, major red flags! Probably not a credible style if that's the case.

Though every once in a while there is a legit guy who just doesn't have their life together, or they don't have enough students to fund an actual place to train or something, but they still might be part of a legitimate style. But those people usually only accept students in person, and sometimes you need a referral from another well known teacher.

But keep in mind that super traditional teachers like that are really strict, and if you can't cut the training, they might just tear your head off or something.

;)

I've never heard of this master, though something about this style seems legit. Normally I'm on guard when it comes to people who just "create their own style", especially when they make claims like, "oh I just picked it up somewhere." That usually means they made it up by themselves after watching some kung fu movies or something, or that they aren't part of a credible lineage. Usually I'd suggest going to their website, or calling in, and asking who their teacher was. Most credible martial arts schools cite their lineage.

If they don't have a website or a contact number, major red flags! Probably not a credible style if that's the case.

Though every once in a while there is a legit guy who just doesn't have their life together, or they don't have enough students to fund an actual place to train or something, but they still might be part of a legitimate style. But those people usually only accept students in person, and sometimes you need a referral from another well known teacher.

But keep in mind that super traditional teachers like that are really strict, and if you can't cut the training, they might just tear your head off or something.

;)

THanks for the info sloppy, this guy does seem legit lineage or no lineage. His body seems in shape and powerful, his balance and flexibility are quite impressive. He probably just doesnt have his life put together like you mention above to have a dojo, he seems to make a living by doing performances to the public.

DOnt think he has a website or a phone number, but I know he resides in Japan, maybe I should ask around there see what people know about him.

If he accepts me as a student I hope I can survive training with him :lol:

THanks for the info sloppy, this guy does seem legit lineage or no lineage. His body seems in shape and powerful, his balance and flexibility are quite impressive. He probably just doesnt have his life put together like you mention above to have a dojo, he seems to make a living by doing performances to the public.

DOnt think he has a website or a phone number, but I know he resides in Japan, maybe I should ask around there see what people know about him.

If he accepts me as a student I hope I can survive training with him :lol:

Good luck with that.

I guess another thing to watch out for is the language barrier. If you aren't able to communicate with words, he may decide to teach you through direct experience. I'd work on some pretty heavy conditioning before you start training- some masters don't hold back during training.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Good medicine!

Dennis Chambers, John Blackwell, Inosanto, Bustillio OBVIOUSLY stole from this cat here!

This cat will eat your lunch and you as well, better to train with someone with less juice.

Stellar my brother,

Roberto

Sign in to follow this