the latest freed

Hello! New here.

Hi everyone. I've been following the Way for about three or four years, since I took a World Humanities course in undergrad and was assigned to read portions of the Chuang Tzu. Since then, I've read all of the interior chapters of the Chuang Tzu (and some of the other chapters) and all of the Tao Te Ching, and also some of the Wen Tzu. Needless to say, my experience with and practice of Taoism has been chiefly literary and internal, and in occasional discussions with my husband. I joined this forum mostly to meet other people who follow the Way. I live in the American South, where Taoists are hard to come by, though I've recently discovered a small Tai Chi center in town (I've recently relocated) and may go there, in order to unite the intellectual with the physical to spur on further growth.

I'm very much into Tao-chia--keeping it simple, reading the oldest classics of the canon, questioning everything I know, making it more of a life philosophy than a religion. I do know how to consult the I Ching at a basic level and I do feel energy. I've read in some of these forum posts that others "feel" the trees, and that really resonates with me. I'm fairly skittish about getting too New Age-y (part of me is very pragmatic and skeptical), but I am open to (and have some experience with) the less-recognized aspects of reality. I've been sensing trees for a while, since I was a little girl. I don't really "talk" to them, as such, because speaking is superfluous. Still, their "voices"--for lack of a better word--seem to come to me in barely inaudible whispers, like the sound is just out of my hearing frequency.

Probably the largest factor in my life experience that led me to Taoism has been my sense of self, or lack thereof. As a child, of course, I didn't have existential concerns; I didn't worry about who I was, what made me singular among everyone else. But once I hit 10 or 12, all of those questions became my biggest concerns. I struggled to find something that was unique to me, and of course I couldn't pinpoint it. A childhood friend of mine told me that what "made" me was the combination of things I liked, i.e. my favorite color, my favorite sport, my favorite animal, etc. But I never felt that any of that defined me--it was more so "window dressing" than anything else, or like the clothing I put on and could take off at any time. This caused a lot of problems for me during my teenage years because I felt like I was the only one who felt that way, who didn't "know" who I was. And then, of course, in college I read parts of the Chuang Tzu--the butterfly allegory in particular--and felt absolutely ecstatic because I realized that I wasn't a freak, or abnormally hollow. My recognition that the "me"--the essential part of myself--is indefinable is a positive step along the Way. I finally accepted that no words can encompass my true self, but it can be felt in the silences; that my true self is not just the body and mind that I inhabit, but everything in reality. I love Tao-chia's lack of dogma, its resistance to defining what cannot be defined and the creation of rules and traditions and formulas out of thin air.

Well, I feel that I've said too much for an introduction. I tend to wax verbose because I never feel that what I say about myself, or Taoism, or my general feelings and beliefs and sense of the world, is ever sufficient. I am always transforming, moving from caterpillar to butterfly only to find that I'm still, comparatively, a caterpillar (if a modified one), so, like Prufrock, I can never say what it is I really mean. Other basics about me can be found on my profile.

Anyway, all this has been to say: I'm happy to be here, looking forward to getting to know all of you, and am making my Way along the path as best I can. Cheers!

This is just this boys perspective. One thing at a time. You mentioned the I-ching, Yijing. For me it would not matter if it were any other system, cards, beans, coins, computer based, coffe grinds, tea leaves, etc... Here goes, You think of your question in meditation, you manifest it in writing, while connected as an awareness/observer of the infinate void/wuji/dao, cast with whatever system you want, stalks, coins, dice. Read the answer, refer to the hexagram and note any changing lines. Read what ever volume of i-ching/yijing you have. Meditate on the answer, do not question or reject it, in your own words write down the answer next to the question, ensure the date and location are listed. maintain this journal and ask only real pertinent questions several times a week. As you refer back to it, you will find it will reveal more than first thought. How you ask your self, it is just dumb luck, well, let us take a look at the energetics and spiritual component. here you are in space and time, connecting with it and open to the knowledge of the void, with intention (YI) backed up by your will (ZHI) supported by your spirit (SHEN) with balanced aggressive desired focus (PO), with a benevolent wiseness (HUN) you cast the di, for a milisecond all of the components are connected to deliver a very specific reply. Through patience and awareness these simple tools become great aids in life. Feel your way and just be content with your path. Disclaimer: for all the bums that have a different approach or who use it to keep your rice bowls full, sorry, do not shoot the messenger, this is just one boys approach. DQC

Hi the latest freed.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to share your heart with us. It is always a pleasure to make the acquaintance of a fellow Wayfarer (read: fellow freak ;) )

What are your thoughts about cultivation practice beyond Taiji? I understand not wanting to jump head first into all the new-agey stuff out there. OTOH I don't know how focused on the Tao your Taiji school is (many really aren't at all).

Edited by Creation

Hi the latest freed.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to share your heart with us. It is always a pleasure to make the acquaintance of a fellow Wayfarer (read: fellow freak ;) )

What are your thoughts about cultivation practice beyond Taiji? I understand not wanting to jump head first into all the new-agey stuff out there. OTOH I don't know how focused on the Tao your Taiji school is (many really aren't at all).

Creation, Who are you talking to? Sorry, I do not understand, what is OTOH? what school are you asking about? Are you sure you are responding to the correct post? DQC

To All, I see your reference now, I apologize, I needed to review the original post. DQC

Edited by daoist qigong collective

Hi the latest freed.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I haven't really checked out the Taiji school yet, so I wouldn't be able to say just yet. From their website, they seem to be somewhat/fairly focused on the Tao (i.e. they mention it specifically and stress that students will learn about "Asian culture and philosophies" as well as the martial art). But I'm not sure of the extent. I'll let you know after I take the time to attend a class. :) Anyway, thanks again for the welcome!

This is just this boys perspective. One thing at a time. You mentioned the I-ching, Yijing. For me it would not matter if it were any other system, cards, beans, coins, computer based, coffe grinds, tea leaves, etc... Here goes, You think of your question in meditation, you manifest it in writing, while connected as an awareness/observer of the infinate void/wuji/dao, cast with whatever system you want, stalks, coins, dice. Read the answer, refer to the hexagram and note any changing lines. Read what ever volume of i-ching/yijing you have. Meditate on the answer, do not question or reject it, in your own words write down the answer next to the question, ensure the date and location are listed. maintain this journal and ask only real pertinent questions several times a week. As you refer back to it, you will find it will reveal more than first thought. How you ask your self, it is just dumb luck, well, let us take a look at the energetics and spiritual component. here you are in space and time, connecting with it and open to the knowledge of the void, with intention (YI) backed up by your will (ZHI) supported by your spirit (SHEN) with balanced aggressive desired focus (PO), with a benevolent wiseness (HUN) you cast the di, for a milisecond all of the components are connected to deliver a very specific reply. Through patience and awareness these simple tools become great aids in life. Feel your way and just be content with your path. Disclaimer: for all the bums that have a different approach or who use it to keep your rice bowls full, sorry, do not shoot the messenger, this is just one boys approach. DQC

Thanks for the advice! What you describe sounds similar in approach to a writing journal that writers keep to study the world, get ideas for stories, and reflect in general. I think your idea to keep a journal of Yijing questions and answers, as well as dates and locations, is very useful for lots of reasons. Thanks again for the tip!