goldisheavy

Why it's hard to take religions seriously.

I guess many people who are bashing a religion just have a superficial knowledge about this subject.

Yeah, I think that many, perhaps most, of the people who bash religion have had some sort of negative experience with a religion they previously held to.

But what is sad is that those I have talked with, most have valid reasons to be bashing (in their own minds).

Humans, after all, are humans, whether they are clergy of some religion or an Atheist.

Peace & Love!

A religion also could have some very good spiritual practices, for example, Orthodox Christianity has a practice analogous to Taoist meditation practice(!) called "Hesychasm".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesychasm

I guess many people who are bashing a religion just have a superficial knowledge about this subject.

When it comes down to it, the wiser people who criticize religion aren't actually focusing on religion as a whole, but much of the baggage with that comes with it.

Many who champion science over religion do so because science is in a never ending process of correcting itself, whereas religions often try their best to maintain traditional dogma, even if that dogma is outdated and harmful.

So, it's not religion, but the clinging to irrational and harmful dogmas that people criticize. Sensible, mystic types are able to navigate these negative components of religion to no ill effect due to intuitive wisdom, but for most people most of the time religion stays in its dogma oriented, traditional culture. The fundamental reason this is a problem is that it separates people in a deep way instead of honoring the oneness of all humanity. Attempts at ecumenism among religions ultimately fail because in the end there are bottom line differences that can't be solved without endangering one's religious beliefs.

I think religion, like science, should be able to engage in the process of self-correction and not be burdened by tradition for tradition's sake. The issue is this is more difficult than science because of science's reliance on objective proof. Religion, philosophy, and subjective experience are much more tenuous.

'Bashing' religion can at times be a useful way to point out many of its absurdities. The problem is this approach lacks tact and may not be an ultimately effective means of persuasion.

Edited by RyanO

Speaking of religion... I was hanging out at the philosophy department yesterday at my University. Every professor received a huge box in the mail that said "donation enclosed". Inside was a DVD and about 10 books (i'm guessing over a 100$ value) by L Ron Hubbard. They sent this box to every professor there! :lol: :lol: All the boxes were promptly thrown out of course; how ridiculous. They should've picked another department other than philosophy, not that anyone likes scientology these days anyway.

Edited by mikaelz

Many who champion science over religion do so because science is in a never ending process of correcting itself, whereas religions often try their best to maintain traditional dogma, even if that dogma is outdated and harmful.

So, it's not religion, but the clinging to irrational and harmful dogmas that people criticize.

I think religion, like science, should be able to engage in the process of self-correction and not be burdened by tradition for tradition's sake.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Religion like a human character changes very slowly and painful. It is very difficult for religinon to correct itself because of human factor and, of course, because of tradition.

Speaking of religion...

That was funny. True, Scientology is not seen in a positive light nowadays.

Peace & Love!

I would say what I think about Scientology but this is a public forum and if they read it they might have the IRS take everything I have and/or frame me for murder. I wish that was a joke :ph34r:

I can't watch stuff like that. The woman belongs in a mental institution.

Peace & Love!

Yup I would have to agree with you and yes after I finished making fun of her and upon watching the whole show, it does disturb me something awful.