Eviander

Getting to full lotus

I came across this DVD today and ordered a copy:

Lotus Pose Padmasana: Preparations and Variations by Erich Schiffman

It contains loads of exercises and the price is quite reasonable. I read his book years ago and thought it was one of the better ones I've seen on hatha yoga.

Before long I'll be ready to hit McDonalds! ;)

While you're at it don't forget to full lotus BK, Taco Bell and last but not least: Arbys.

Hey Drew,

I put this question in the list Sean was compiling to ask Master Chunyi Lin but you are his rep here so I am asking you :D

I have been doing a full lotus for a long time but my wife finds it real difficult. So those who cannot get into full lotus for some reason, say disability, lack of flexibility etc., is there a substitute practice to make up for it? SFQ seems to hold Full Lotus as an important practice right from level 2, so what about those who cannot do it?

Hey Drew,

I put this question in the list Sean was compiling to ask Master Chunyi Lin but you are his rep here so I am asking you :D

I have been doing a full lotus for a long time but my wife finds it real difficult. So those who cannot get into full lotus for some reason, say disability, lack of flexibility etc., is there a substitute practice to make up for it? SFQ seems to hold Full Lotus as an important practice right from level 2, so what about those who cannot do it?

Actually full lotus is taught in Level 3. So the key secret is the chi energy -- as Westerners we tend to focus on material concepts like stretching, alignment, etc. Actually if you focus on the "small universe" c.d. from http://springforestqigong.com -- along with the active exercises -- then when the chi energy builds up the channels open up.

As long as there's a continual flow of energy -- with the external chi transmission through the third eye and then the internal jing transmission through the perineum -- then you can sit in full lotus as long as you want. This one cafe I frequented -- the owner told me that I sat in full lotus for "hours at a time." haha.

People born in fire years will naturally remain shy from full lotus as the experience will be a nuisance rather than a benefit. Why? Stiff tendons and ligaments. Why? Overactive liver. Why? Fire nature. :)

The single most effective practice for getting to full lotus is super simple:

Frequently throughout the day when you are sitting in a chair - bring one foot up as high as you can and rest it on the other leg.

In other words put it as much as you can so that the bottom of your foot is facing up and it is as close to half of a Full Lotus as you can get.

Do this under the table at a restaurant, when at the computer,  watching a show - do it very frequently.

I have meditated in Full Lotus for over forty years - and i have also enjoyed meditation sitting in half lotus, in a chair and standing. While it is a decent position for meditation, generally it is not any better than sitting in a chair and it would be easy to argue that standing meditation is easily the most powerful of the three.

Both chair and standing promote greater opening of the leg channels - standing requires the feet to really open up.

Part of the very real arguement for the idea that full lotus is not so much better is that all of them are VERY EFFECTIVE and another reason is that it is the least comfortable until you finally reach some comfort with it - which can take years. It is relatively easy to find some comfort with it for 20 minutes - but if you meditate 3 hours at least in most sittings then it generally takes quite a few years to reach this and then I can tell you from experience that it is not really much better if it is better at all.

However it is a project that you can accomplish using the simple practice above and it is a simple practice that will allow you to keep in shape to continue to do it. Nothing magic happens just because you are in Full Lotus - the mechanics are relatively simple. 

From the standpoint of what I would put up in the list of best meditation practices - full Lotus would simply be one among a number of good sitting positions - the spine is the main postural component. Very high on the list of Best Mditation practices is comfort and comfort over the long run - not blue legs and pain and possibly a stroke from a cold blue leg.

I do not meditate generally for less than 3 hours so my opinions on meditation postures and such are related to long meditation - upwards of 18 hours. They work well for all durations. 

For some people - not many - they have a condition of very loose muscle tone and can very easily bend and twist and get into full Lotus - and that is great for them. For most of us it is work getting there and work maintaining having gotten there and then the knees are another issue - what guy has ever taken the slow approach - not so likely. So in the pursuit of getting to full lotus it is fairly likely you will be rough on the knees - try to be easy on them - don't crank them like they are a chicken wing.

Practice really bending up one leg whenever sitting any where and you will get to full lotus sooner than later. Until you get there - practice meditation sitting in a chair and standing as well as in half lotus or just with a simple leg cross. Then when you get to full lotus hopefully it will not go to your head - it is just one good posture among many.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3