Sign in to follow this  
duff

Falun Gong

Has anybody looked into these practices, this organization, or know anyone who has? Just by feeling the energy of some people who were handing out some flyers makes me want to check it out. Must be something to it. Many thanks.

Jeremy

I did some FG some time ago, and read the books etc. It was quite interesting but there are some strange things about the organisations leader, and the whole thing (in the books) was somewhat cultish.

The people who ran the group were very nice (and not cultish at all!), and the actual movements themselves seemed quite powerful and easy to learn from the video or the books. They were quite similar to some of the positions from Zhang Zhuang, and to the Marriage of Heaven and Earth.

I gave it up and decided to concentrate on other forms after becoming slightly alarmed by some of the literature, but, I repeat, the people I was mixing with at the sessions were all just "regular people", and I had no problems with any of them. I don't remember any of them seeming any more powerful than any other QiGong practitioner.

I suppose, like anything else it will be a case of you trying it yourself to decide what you think about it. Just be careful not to be too taken in by the literature.

What practices do you currently do?

Thanks for the reply. What about the literature did you find cultish? I have just been looking it over and it talks about how it is different from all other schools of cultivation, the wheel and all that jazz. Thanks again, Jeremy.

Also the fact that he states not to use any other methods kind of set off an alarm for me. I have gotten through one and a half of the books. As for me latley I have been sticking to zazen and pranayama with all kinds of ups and downs as a result. Thanks again. Jeremy

Also the fact that he states not to use any other methods kind of set off an alarm for me.

Yeah that was part of it. I know (from experience) that it is best to stick with one form of practice and keep doing it, than to keep putting one form down to pick up another for a couple of weeks, and keep chopping and changing. But the literature seems to (or at least to me it does) suggest that it is bad from some sort of moral point of view, rather than a practical one.

talks about how it is different from all other schools of cultivation

That too. I'm a fan of the parable of the boat, once you get across the river, you have no need for the boat. Schools of cultivation are, I think, just about methods of cultivation. Some may be better for one person, and others better for another ("better" meaning more likely to work, not intrinsically better)

Any system that says "I am the only true system" is just too strict for me.

I have been sticking to zazen and pranayama with all kinds of ups and downs as a result

Why ups and downs? Both good practices.

Sign in to follow this