lifeforce

Ch'an/Zen and the Tao

If you read Nan Huai-Chin's work, he talks about it that way. He claims to be versed in Taoism and Zen, but indicates that Zen holds the apex for him.

Do you mean he describes emptiness as a phase too?

Hmm...I wonder if he describes it that way because of Taoist influence.

Edited by tyler zambori

The intersection between Chan and Tao is one of my great interests. I think it is impossible to understand Chan without understanding Tao, and an understanding of Chan refines one's understanding of the Tao. Taoism can have a harmonizing and grounding effect on Buddhist practice, and Buddhist practice can keep one's Taoism from becoming dull and lifeless.

Love the blog. There's some great stuff there.

Is it your work ?

The works of the Confucian sages and the later neo-confucians can also be added to this cross pollination of wisdom.

It is we who construct the boundaries between these traditions.

When we reflect on the words of the ancient masters, the connections are glaringly obvious.

I have a book on my desk in my office called the "Unencumbered Spirit" which was written by a Buddhist/Taoist/Confucian.

The works of the Confucian sages and the later neo-confucians can also be added to this cross pollination of wisdom.

It is we who construct the boundaries between these traditions.

When we reflect on the words of the ancient masters, the connections are glaringly obvious.