Sign in to follow this  
MBZ

Tofu?

Is tofu ok for men? I've heard both yay and nay and I'm confused. I'm a testicular cancer survivor so I'm concerned with the whole estrogen thing. Thanks for any advice in advanced!

BLESSINGS!!!

Is tofu ok for men? I've heard both yay and nay and I'm confused. I'm a testicular cancer survivor so I'm concerned with the whole estrogen thing. Thanks for any advice in advanced!

BLESSINGS!!!

I have never heard anything negative about it. I eat it. It is a good source of protein and an excellent alternative to red meat.

Peace & Love!

Basically from what I've read, the benefit of soy is a complete protein profile.

The disadvantage though is several phytoestrogens and even "antinutrients." Now, some of these can get deactivated by processing like fermentation and to a lesser degree, precipitation.

Although the act of fermenting soybeans does de-activate both hemagglutinin and trypsin inhibitors, cooking and precipitation do not. Although these enzyme inhibitors are found in reduced levels within precipitated soy products like tofu, they are not completely eliminated. For this reason, if you are going to consume soy, I would recommend limiting your soy use to fermented products only, like tempeh or miso.
So, I try to limit my soy to small amounts of fermented soy products.

And definitely stay away from raw soy (edamame), underprocessed soy (like in many commercial soy milks) and GMO soy.

Here's one anti-soy perspective:

http://westonaprice.org/soy-alert.html

OTOH, I remember recently reading about a new meta-study on soy which concluded that there were at least no hormonal side-effects from soy protein consumption. But I'm not sure how high I would rate that info because I think it all comes down to that soy isn't a very natural food for humans to consume. It needs lot of processing to be even semi-edible so I'd recommend you get your proteins from somewhere else if possible..

Sign in to follow this