Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

365 Tao - WORK

I hope some of you have enjoyed these posts by Deng Ming-Dao. This will be the last one. The rest of the year can be found at http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/vortex/...365/365date.htm

WORK

The woodcutter

Works in all seasons.

Splitting wood is both

Action and inaction.

Even when it is snowy, the woodcutter must split wood. Unless he does, he and his family will not stay warm, and those who depend upon him will not survive. But the woodcutter does not work simply on a piecemeal basis. He labors in concert with the seasons : He worked hard to store wood prior to the first cold so that he would have the luxury of merely splitting kindling now. His work seems slight in one season, because he was industrious in the previous one.

When he splits wood, he must place the log on the block and raise his axe. But he must strike the wood with the grain, and he must let the axe fall with its own weight. If he tries to chop across the grain, his effort would be wasted. If he tries to add strength to the swing of the axe, there would be no gain.

Like the woodcutter, we can all benefit from working according to seasonal circumstances. Whether it is the time or the method, true labor is half initiative and half knowing how to let things proceed on their own.

Hi Blasto,

I have enjoyed them very much.

I wish you would reconsider not posting any more. Sure, we can all go to the site and read them on our own. But one a day or one every other day, to me, is inspiring and much more valuable as we are viewing only one at any one time and we have time to consider each post and give them the attention they deserve.

I will cry if you stop but don't worry, I have cried before. And crying flushes the eyes and their sockets.

Peace & Love!

...and knowing is half the battle.

Yo Joe!!! :lol:

when my tear ducts need flushing, they flush :D

Hi Blasto,

I have enjoyed them very much.

I wish you would reconsider not posting any more. Sure, we can all go to the site and read them on our own. But one a day or one every other day, to me, is inspiring and much more valuable as we are viewing only one at any one time and we have time to consider each post and give them the attention they deserve.

I will cry if you stop but don't worry, I have cried before. And crying flushes the eyes and their sockets.

Peace & Love!

I agree with this statement!

Sign in to follow this