Old Man Contradiction

My first TCM experience.

I have been having chronic headaches and chronic tonsilitis for a while now. The only option my western doctor gave me was to have a tonsilectomy. So one of my teachers in kung-fu referred me to a TCM/Naturopath doctor.

She observed my pulse. Checked my tongue. May have been looking in my eyes as we were talking. She asked me questions.

The resulting diagnosis was a weak kidney system, and it's tendency to be oversensitive of food allergies. Of many, she emphasized wheat/gluten, dairy, and sugar as possible foods that my body is intolerant of. This is why my immune system is so weak, and I believe could also be why I have lots of fear and anxiety... my body-mind's self-defense mechanisms are weak.

So she did acupuncture on me. Points on the feet, hands, back of the neck. Maybe a few more I'm missing. This plus the breathing made my limbs feel vibrant, warm, and fuzzy. I was feeling very fluid. Then she did some massage-type work on my neck. She did a motion as if she was trying to snap it, and the motion cracked the neck muscles and felt good. She also worked on my jaw, as these muscles are very tight and could be related to the headaches as well.

After the treatment, she prescribed a tea mix for my immune system, as well as echinacea, and some kind of flower/leaf.

The appointment plus the medicine all together costed 26$. I feel the doctor was very good, her food guidelines, and treatment were all very thorough and skillful. I have another appointment in 3 weeks and I'm really looking forward to it. By the way, I've never said that about my conventional doctor of western medicine.

PS. What do you know about the tonsils? My father and I argue about this because I want to keep my body parts, avoid surgery, and try to balance out my body inorder to heal naturally. But he just wants me to get my tonsils cut out. Secretly I refuse to do this.

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

I can't diagnose your problem over the internet, as I need to feel your pulses among other things.

With that said, I can give you a story from about 12 years ago which led me to be an acupuncturist.

Personally I had severe throat problems for about 5 years through high school. It was going to end up with a tonsil removal and more antibiotics. I had already been on antibiotics for a LONG time because the western side only saw the infection, and not the root of the problem.

Visited a TCM doctor, and he put me on a formula with the cooked tea from raw herbs.

Problem solved. No removal of tonsils, never had a throat infection since.

In China, TCM is one side of the hospital wing with Western medicine on the other. It works. Otherwise it wouldn't have lasted around 2000 years.

:)

Note: $26 is REALLY cheap for TCM. The going rate is about 75 to 100 per treatment. You should be going weekly at that rate. She can fix things better with more treatments and consistent visits. That's why I have a $30 rate for weekly visits as well. Its a medicine of prevention which works better if you go A LOT!

Edited by Eternal_Student

I'll second ES's recommendation for weekly visits. Works better, and at that rate go before they change their mind on the price. I am assuming they are doing a full treatment session? My sessions last an hr.

Wow $26? That is very inexpensive.

Yeah tell me about, it's with a non-profit organization. The fee is on a sliding scale, and since I have no income they are very generous.

I can't diagnose your problem over the internet, as I need to feel your pulses among other things.

With that said, I can give you a story from about 12 years ago which led me to be an acupuncturist.

Personally I had severe throat problems for about 5 years through high school. It was going to end up with a tonsil removal and more antibiotics. I had already been on antibiotics for a LONG time because the western side only saw the infection, and not the root of the problem.

Visited a TCM doctor, and he put me on a formula with the cooked tea from raw herbs.

Problem solved. No removal of tonsils, never had a throat infection since.

In China, TCM is one side of the hospital wing with Western medicine on the other. It works. Otherwise it wouldn't have lasted around 2000 years.

:)

Note: $26 is REALLY cheap for TCM. The going rate is about 75 to 100 per treatment. You should be going weekly at that rate. She can fix things better with more treatments and consistent visits. That's why I have a $30 rate for weekly visits as well. Its a medicine of prevention which works better if you go A LOT!

I am confident that her diagnosis is correct. She also came highly recommended by someone who's been involved in TCM for a long time.

I'm glad to hear a common story. I look forward to healing, and next time I talk to my dad about this I will use your story as an example success story.

Yes 26$ is awesome, I'm really thankful. Unfortunately, even at that rate I can't afford weekly visits. Also she is a very busy doctor, so the nearest appointment I could get isn't until January. I'd probably be doing so good if I could get in every week. Nevertheless, within a few months I'm sure she's going to have me sittin sweet.