Sign in to follow this  
Taiji Bum

Hard to sleep when I fast?

Anybody know why it is so hard for me to sleep when I fast? My physical energy seems appropriately low but my mental energy is blazing. Thats good during the day but annoying at night. I was re-reading Bodri's stuff and decided on a short fast to detox and stuff.

Sincerely,

Sleepless in Detroit

Just some thoughts ...

Probably the fast has shifted your attention from body-based perception to mind-based which has become harder to shut down. Your body will 'ask' the mind if it is ready to sleep by sending messages like 'shall I turn over' and if the mind responds then instead of falling asleep you will start fretful/ or uncomfortable sleeplessness. Best thing is to lie still until you have passed this stage and let your mind drift - do not focus on the thoughts but let them come and go.

Another technique is to use breathing - see the breathing as coming from beyond you and returning to beyond you - so it is not under your individual control (if you see what I mean). This establishes a rhythm which is mentally calming.

Otherwise get up and do something mundane - like clean your house or whatever ...

A.

adrenaline...

I read a book on fasting and it said adrenaline rises when you fast, as well as glucagen which burns calories, and insulin goes low (which stores energy), hgh, another chemical that makes it easier for you to burn fat and utilize non physical energy, etc. basically all you need to withstand the fasted state provided you get energy other than from food.

Sign in to follow this