Bum Grasshopper

The importance of caves in Taoism

Why is it that the great masters choose to live and cultivate in caves? Are caves living and breathing natural manifestations mirroring our own internal physiology?

"Despite a singular solidarity, their permeability in terms of air and water flow reflects the inner workings of the human body. Blood equals water, air equals breath. Spermatic fluid liquids form pools; walls constitute shapes like inner organs or viscera. Their resident, left windowless and in an enclosed void, experiences the dignity of complete independence and autarky."

They are also the preferred storage places of Daoist cannons and text. Could they be the the telephone booth of the celestial and earthly?

I have always been fascinated and drawn to caves. When in one, I can't help but to feel spiritual. After reading the above passage, I now realize that I was standing in the belly of a great creature, one that stands the test of time.

Thoughts?

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

I think that caves are more just a practical matter. When you are in deep meditation, it is very unpleasant and possibly harmful to be suddenly disturbed. It would not be safe or advisable to meditate out in the open at higher levels. It is better to be in a protected, quiet, and stable environment. A cave is perfect.

With respect to documents and scrolls, where better to hide them from the elements, prying eyes, and so forth?

I don't read any significance into caves beyond their practical value but that's solely my opinion.

Caves represent the "empty spaces" within our body i.e. the glands in the brain, the dan tiens etc... Meditating on the empty spaces within us activates the potential in the wuji within. From the emptiness, power is manifested.

Hi Grasshopper,

I agree with both responses above.

I can recall only one short story from Chuang Tzu where he spoke of someone who lived in a cave. But in reference to the person he didn't call him a Sage but rather a spiritual being - a person who had transcended the material world.

But then, yes, I think that one could easily become more aware of their spiritual essence while in a cave. There would be no distractions and no images of the materialistic world.

Peace & Love!

Caves are generally much quieter than "open" nature. People in modern housing and urban/rural areas often think of nature as quiet and serene. This is not so, although the sounds are natural and usually "peaceful", they would still be distracting to someone wanting to go very deep into stillness. Plus all sorts of bugs and other animals might wander along and sniff or even try to munch on you. Another distraction...

Caves generally have less of these, unless it's a really damp, deep cave with other inhabitants of course.

I agree with all the above responses as well! Many reasons for living in a cave. You would also possibly have beneficial earth energies coming up through dragon veins (ley lines) which might be more exposed in a cave?...

M: by all means employ the mind, but dont get lost in the mind. Observe the mind, be a witness to the mind flow.

(p. 38, Prior to Consciousness)

Edited by Matt

Why is it that the great masters choose to live and cultivate in caves? Are caves living and breathing natural manifestations mirroring our own internal physiology?

They are also the preferred storage places of Daoist cannons and text. Could they be the the telephone booth of the celestial and earthly?

I have always been fascinated and drawn to caves. When in one, I can't help but to feel spiritual. After reading the above passage, I now realize that I was standing in the belly of a great creature, one that stands the test of time.

Thoughts?

They cave? From society as Cavemen?

j/k

Edited by Non

In Taoist texts, cave are very often represented as being symbolic of the womb. You therefore return to the cave to gestate before being spiritually reborn into the world. You see this symbolism with particular strength in the Japanese Taoist traditions, in which the hermit would cast a long staff into the cave before entering it for extended meditation.

Also, there is a strong belief in Taoism and Chinese folk belief that caves represent the passageway between the normal world and the spiritual underworld. There are many fables and poems to that effect in Chinese literature, where a hermit went into a cave and his spirit descended into the other world to visit spiritual beings.

Finally, as others were saying, caves very strongly represent the feminine (yin) energy. They are quiet, dark, damp, cold, deep, etc. - all of which are physical manifestations of yin energy. And as we all know, Lao Tzu exhorted us to cultivate the feminine.

In Taoist texts, cave are very often represented as being symbolic of the womb. You therefore return to the cave to gestate before being spiritually reborn into the world. You see this symbolism with particular strength in the Japanese Taoist traditions, in which the hermit would cast a long staff into the cave before entering it for extended meditation.

Also, there is a strong belief in Taoism and Chinese folk belief that caves represent the passageway between the normal world and the spiritual underworld. There are many fables and poems to that effect in Chinese literature, where a hermit went into a cave and his spirit descended into the other world to visit spiritual beings.

Finally, as others were saying, caves very strongly represent the feminine (yin) energy. They are quiet, dark, damp, cold, deep, etc. - all of which are physical manifestations of yin energy. And as we all know, Lao Tzu exhorted us to cultivate the feminine.

Makes sense! :)