innerspace_cadet

I am starting Baguazhang classes on Thursday

Regarding footwork. I have only seen one guy on youtube who performs Bai and Kou correctly. Only one.

Bagua is Very difficult to perform correctly.

I would like to see that video and also what you have to say about this. Care to explain? This could turn into a very interesting debate.

Sure, first the video:

First of all, Circle walking isn't walking a circle at all it's an 8 sided octagon. Bai step should move straight ahead, kou should follow the next side of the octagon.. IMO

Of course, there are many schools of Bagua but in the strictest definitions that's how it should be IMO.. Anyway, that's how I was taught.

Oh, and I agree with you about the brick thing.. but not the Tai chi thing :)

Let me add about Bai... Bai should not turn inward towards the center of the circle.. Everyone I see on youtube turns their inner foot in towards the center of the circle.

Edited by Baguakid

Well this is my lineage:

1. Dong Haichuan

2. Liang Zhen Pu

3. Li Ziming

4. Wang Tong

5. My current teacher

Liang Zhen Pu had little martial arts training before meeting Dong, his Bagua was arguably the purest, with little influence from other styles. One example of this is the fact that his Bagua forms are the most circular in nature (my style) among the Bagua variants. Every one of his sets are taught in a circle, unlike versions from earlier students (for example, Yin Fu's Bagua) which have many linear segments.

So what you are learning is slightly different from what I am learning.

What does this all really mean?

Stick to your teacher's instructions and don't get influenced by other Bagua styles.

Well this is my lineage:

1. Dong Haichuan

2. Liang Zhen Pu

3. Li Ziming

4. Wang Tong

5. My current teacher

Liang Zhen Pu had little martial arts training before meeting Dong, his Bagua was arguably the purest, with little influence from other styles. One example of this is the fact that his Bagua forms are the most circular in nature (my style) among the Bagua variants. Every one of his sets are taught in a circle, unlike versions from earlier students (for example, Yin Fu's Bagua) which have many linear segments.

So what you are learning is slightly different from what I am learning.

What does this all really mean?

Stick to your teacher's instructions and don't get influenced by other Bagua styles.

Agreed... I will say this, anyone who has the tenacity and spirit to remain in Bagua has me giving them a pat on the back. Like we are both saying, it isn't easy. You have a cool lineage... Best regards and good training.