Sign in to follow this  
Marduk

Taoism and the status of women

Ah true, although in that case the sexism would be a byproduct of nepotism - which also discriminated against males too.

Yes, but not ALL males, all males wouldn't be discriminated against because of the actions of one.

Anyhow, the whole story sounds a bit melodramatic. So, who knows what really happened..? :lol: While I don't doubt this version is possible, I am not going to assume it an unembellished historical fact, either.

I agree with this. Just read it the day this thread popped up though, so it seemed relevant to the discussion, no idea how authentic it is, have no real knowledge of the history of Chen Taijiquan. While minutes ago trying to see what I could dig up , which was zilch, I did find some cool articles about women in the history of martial arts, like this one. I look forward to learning so much more about this fascinating history as I learn about Taoism and it's many facets in the years to come. Other than religious traditions centered around Goddesses, I have yet to find a more woman friendly spiritual tradition than Taoism.

Hi,

I would like to know how taoism views women, whether it is egalitarian or not, what role taoists think women should play and what rights women have in this tradition...

Yes, there are famous female Taoists that currently living.

Yes, there are famous historical Taoists figure heads in Taoism.

Yes, a women is allowed to practice Taoism despite whatever theories, beliefs or what others will tell you women Taoists are not excluded out of Taoism.

I believe there are is at least a mountain or two that has strictly only has Female Taoist practicing.

In my sect at Wudang most of the priests are women (priestesses). They actually run all the ceremonies and daily temple administration at Purple Cloud temple. My grandmaster was also a lady held in high regard by those at Wudang.

So by this I guess women are total equals. I don't know in other sects.

Hi,

I would like to know how taoism views women, whether it is egalitarian or not, what role taoists think women should play and what rights women have in this tradition...

Sign in to follow this