JustARandomPanda

Chi Circulation Question

I have a question about circulating chi energy.

I have been practicing for many months pulling the energy downward - mostly to my dantien and / or down and out the soles of my feet. I focused on the downward path because I'd read how dangerous it can be to focus on the upward path unless / until the downward path is strong. I think I remember reading somewhere 8 downward draws to 1 upward one. Well because I was concerned by the dangers I've ONLY been doing downward draw.

Today...for some reason I decided to try to see if I could bring it back up and discovered I have to 'force it by will' to do so. OTH, I don't have to 'force' Chi downward. It seems to easily do that on it's own.

Does this mean I've over-practiced the downward path? If so, does this lead to negative consequences or does it just mean neglecting the upward path means it's slowed down my progress?

Edited by SereneBlue

The chi is always flowing both ways - you might be finding it harder to notice the upwards movement as you're accustomed to the sensation of downwards movement... flow from one to the other and it will be effortless:

Sometimes, after flowing down, as your dan tien is filled, just invite the energy to 'expand' and see if the energy moves upwards...

Hi Freeform,

I do agree with what you have said.

I wonder though, in SereneBlue's case, learning that the upward movement can be dangerous might be presenting a psychological blockage to effective movement.

It is my understanding that if it has to be 'forced' then it is not natural. The mind needs to be unblocked.

(If you feel I am off base here please negate my post or simply disregard.)

Be well!

Does this mean I've over-practiced the downward path? If so, does this lead to negative consequences or does it just mean neglecting the upward path means it's slowed down my progress?

I would say to take a step back from "energy movement". There should be no problem with going either direction. It can be different for most people.

But as far as the the step back is concerned, I would say stop moving energy and just locate and focus on the various points in a sequential order. That will just help you find the path without any "real" energy involved. Once you can identify/imagine these points without too much trouble then start moving energy to each of the points.

Taoist meditation is much more about preparation than people seem to want to focus on. Prepare the points for the energy to come and you will be fine.

Hi Freeform,

I do agree with what you have said.

I wonder though, in SereneBlue's case, learning that the upward movement can be dangerous might be presenting a psychological blockage to effective movement.

It is my understanding that if it has to be 'forced' then it is not natural. The mind needs to be unblocked.

(If you feel I am off base here please negate my post or simply disregard.)

Be well!

You're quite right - at least in how I do my practice - forcing is definitely counter-productive.

And yes - there may well be a learned cautiousness in the body of flowing upwards. So it's best to notice the upwards movement that is already there... I find that when my dan tien is filled and I allow it, the energy moves upwards...

They key is always to have your awareness focused on what is 'there' rather than what you want to have happen... notice what's there and you have a much better chance of manoeuvring to where you need to go effortlessly.

Hi Sereneblue,

According to Bruce Frantzis - there's a reason for this type of training. E.g. doing the vast majority pulling downwards instead of upwards through the soles of the feet. If I remember correctly, he claims that the upward flow of energy is a very strong current which is often credited with awakening psychic abilities and such, and if the body's energetic system isn't capable of holding it you'll get all kinds of Qi imbalances, psychosis, etc.

He says it's very easy to get a very , very strong flow of energy from the bottom with little training. Results will be rapid, but so will side effects. That's why he says you do static Qigong and focus on sinking the Qi, and dissolving downwards for a long time before doing any exercises that draw Qi upwards.

Hope that helps!

He says it's very easy to get a very , very strong flow of energy from the bottom with little training. Results will be rapid, but so will side effects. That's why he says you do static Qigong and focus on sinking the Qi, and dissolving downwards for a long time before doing any exercises that draw Qi upwards.

Hope that helps!

In addition, static Qigong is hard work which opens you up to your chi. A lot of the time, visualizing the movement of chi is just that and no more than a visualization.

You can visualize and feel anything, but that does not mean it's actually happening.