Calorie Restriction Society

The key seems to be finding nutrient-dense low calorie foods. From

what I've heard, people who adapt this as an ongoing lifestyle have to

spend a substantial period of time eating every day. Periodic fasting or

cycling low calorie days may be more practical for most of us outside

monasteries. There was a book about this called "The Alternate Day Diet"

a few years ago.

neat link, thanks!

I am lucky to have known poverty since I was a child, so i have had a low calorie diet for most of my life. Perhaps I will live a nice long life?

My health is not so bad as most of my peers. I am even doing handstands now at 30, something I never did as a kid.

The lower calorie diet is not starving, the monkeys in the study that got fewer calories and lives longer and healthier acutally retained more muscle mass than their high calorie counterparts.

Less food does not activate any gene that I am aware of. What is the gene in question here supposed to be?

I am sure Resveratrol is good stuff, but there is something to the low calorie diet that Resveratrol has not shown, like extending the life of mice.

Saw a docu of a city in Japan with the most 100+ year olds in the world.

Besides the nonstressfull enviroment and the very healthy food, a saying goes there: eat till your 80% full.

This will put your body in somekind of preservation mode. I guess it lowers metabolism, less burning, longer living :)

neat link, thanks!

I am lucky to have known poverty since I was a child, so i have had a low calorie diet for most of my life. Perhaps I will live a nice long life?

My health is not so bad as most of my peers. I am even doing handstands now at 30, something I never did as a kid.

Unfortunately, for most people living in poverty, the lower calorie "diet" results in much shorter life spans and much worse health while living.

Lets remember the second half of the equation is nutrient dense food. I'd wager that's a 'real' whole food diet, not processed or powdered mixed glop w/ a handfuls of vitamins.

Michael

Forgot to mention that those 100+ year olds besides healthy fresh food, stressfree enviroment and eating till 80% full also had alot of social contact.

Its in Okinawa the biggest density of centerians are found.

Regards, M

Sign in to follow this