Sign in to follow this  
Ramon25

vipassana

Ah I see. Well, I disagree.

Please don't just write half-baked answers.

Why?

I didn't explain why because it should be obvious...I've done it alone, and had good results.

Hmm,

what results?

Doing what?

For how long?

And what is more important,

how can you be sure that your results are not a form of self delusions,

and how can you be sure that another students following the same path would have reached similar results?

I am not trying to be annoying, but you speak like a beginner, who had some peak experiences. What you should realise is that: (a) we are all different, what works for one of us might not work for another. (B) experiences need to be brought to the objective meter of the community (or the teacher), to make sure they are not just a form of delusion, denial, or escapism.

I don't care to discuss myself.

Here's something to consider: did Buddha go learn vipassana from a teacher?

Enough said.

Edited by Scotty

And what is more important,

how can you be sure that your results are not a form of self delusions,

and how can you be sure that another students following the same path would have reached similar results?

How is comparing one's personal experiences to another's not a form of self delusion? How do you know the teacher or your peers are not deluding you? How do you know what you're experiencing isn't a self-fulfilled prophecy? E.g., "when you reach this stage you will feel ______" then you meditate and find something that sounds similar to the explanation then say "Ah! That's what they were talking about!".... but how do you know for sure?

This is why personally I don't look to setup a fixed goal related to meditation aside from seeing what is happening as it is happening. Just my personal, conditioned/biased, preference :)

How is comparing one's personal experiences to another's not a form of self delusion? How do you know the teacher or your peers are not deluding you? How do you know what you're experiencing isn't a self-fulfilled prophecy? E.g., "when you reach this stage you will feel ______" then you meditate and find something that sounds similar to the explanation then say "Ah! That's what they were talking about!".... but how do you know for sure?

This is why personally I don't look to setup a fixed goal related to meditation aside from seeing what is happening as it is happening. Just my personal, conditioned/biased, preference :)

It's important to connect with enlightened lineage because you are connecting with a matrix of enlightened beings and their energy and intentions both physically and beyond the crave, sort of speak. If you are really that unconditioned, you'd be able to see and feel them on a supernatural level. Instead of staying dense with doubt. At least use doubt to doubt your doubt.

We are all influenced by things and people in ways that our mind works so fast on, that generally we are not fully conscious of, or not at all conscious of. It's better to be influenced by a matrix of liberated mind streams than our own doubts. :lol:

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Instead of staying dense with doubt. At least use doubt to doubt your doubt.

Great points - I was just trying to point out that delusion can happen with or without a teacher when we're on our spiritual path.

Doubt and acceptance have the same traps and each carries it's benefits as well. One could make the argument of blind acceptance or the argument of stagnant/fearful doubt.

In short, to each their own just watch out for the potential pitfalls.

The enlightened lineage goes to the one who meditates, even if they have no teacher.

That is true Scotty. If that meditation is deep and profound, that enlightened lineage will fall on his or her head out of the sky. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great points - I was just trying to point out that delusion can happen with or without a teacher when we're on our spiritual path.

Doubt and acceptance have the same traps and each carries it's benefits as well. One could make the argument of blind acceptance or the argument of stagnant/fearful doubt.

In short, to each their own just watch out for the potential pitfalls.

Word to your momma!

Can someone explain how the three insight aspects of vipassana are different?

These would be related to the terms:impermanence, suffering, and not-self, though these formulations have their limits.

They are 3 sides of the same epiphany to me, and totally inseparable at that.

Be wary of lineages, they are sometimes more concerned that you wear that right color hat than they are that you become enlightened.Beware of group consciousness being sold as enlightenment, it only results in holier than thou mentalities that are anything but enlightened.

Enlightenment cannot be had in a group setting and no group can guarantee it.

Be wary of those who do not know what they do not know.

Many people pass off faith as knowledge, this is most harmful.

They will want to force you to do the same as a justification of their own position.

And; be wary of being too wary.

Learn to see things as they are,

not as we think they are.

Sign in to follow this