Sign in to follow this  
alfa

Glossolalia

What is glossolalia? Is it some kind of method to penetrate the subconscious using random words and sounds?

What is glossolalia? Is it some kind of method to penetrate the subconscious using random words and sounds?

I wouldn't say so...It's speaking in what most would consider an unknown tongue--which is different from what occurred on the day of Pentacost when Jesus disciples spoke in tongues-- they were speaking in the various languages used in that area-- Aramaic, Latin, Greek, and whatever else the people spoke. Doubting Thomas was killed with a spear in the chest in India, so I would imagine that he was able to speak whatever language was being used in India in 1st century CE.

Paul wrote in one of the gospels that a person who speaks in tongues edifies himself because no one else knows what they are saying. Sometimes I doubt if the person even knows. I've heard that it is fake--but my mother speaks in "tongues." I've seen her completely trance out while driving and do it. I have also seen her do it at will. She says it took a lot of time before she could really do it at will, though.

Some Christians say Glossolalia is a higher form of prayer or a higher form of praise. I am quick to throw the bullshit flag when people say that to me. Personally, I think meditation is the highest form of prayer for Christians. Yes, I can make a lot of noise, but in the Bible, God always speaks in stillness. Sometimes Christians need to know when to shut the hell up and listen.

hmmm...I might write a sermon about that one day,"Shut the Hell up and listen" :lol:

Glossolalia is the supposed ability to speak in tongues, but more often than not it is simply babbling in gibberish. Obviously, if people could reliably speak in languages they didn't know, the State Department wouldn't have a shortage of Arabic and Farsi speakers.

Glossolalia is the supposed ability to speak in tongues, but more often than not it is simply babbling in gibberish. Obviously, if people could reliably speak in languages they didn't know, the State Department wouldn't have a shortage of Arabic and Farsi speakers.

Obviously if this is possible it's not at all common enough to the point that a State Worker can use it at will. :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this