s1va

Swadharma - performing activities according to one's inherent nature?

Bhagavad gita, chapter 3, verse 35

śrēyānsvadharmō viguṇaḥ paradharmātsvanuṣṭhitāt.
svadharmē nidhanaṅ śrēyaḥ paradharmō bhayāvahaḥ৷৷3.35৷৷

Bhagavad gita, chapter 18, verse 47
śrēyānsvadharmō viguṇaḥ paradharmātsvanuṣṭhitāt.
svabhāvaniyataṅ karma kurvannāpnōti kilbiṣam৷৷18.47৷

"Better one’s own swadharma though deficient than the dharma of another well performed. Better is death in one’s own swadharma; the dharma of another invites danger. (Bhagavad Gita 3:35)"
"Better one’s own swadharma, though imperfect, than the dharma of another well performed; performing the duty prescribed by one’s own swadharma, one does not incur evil. (Bhagavad Gita 18:47)"

The above verses from bhagavad gita, one from chapter 3 and the other from chapter 18, look the same to me.  Anyway, the message conveyed it seems to be is to perform activities (all in the world in accordance with one's one inherent nature.  It says, better die, than doing something that is not natural to you.

This is interpreted in n number of ways.  Some traditional religious say, we get the swadharma by birth.  Other's say, it's not by ones birth, but based on one's gunas or vasanas (impressions) carried from the past (lives?).

Swami Chinmayananda explains these verses beautifully in his Gita talks.  I have also heard some analogies.  The essential nature (swadharma) of poisonous snake is poison.  The swadharma (essential nature) of bitter gourd is it's own unique flavor of bitterness.

Similarly, everything and every one in the universe seems to have their own essential nature or swadharma.  This is the way, I understand it.

I read an interesting article about winners of huge lotteries.  A study was conducted to see, how they were after a decade or two.  The results were nothing but disturbing.  While a minority seemed to have taken the sudden shift in life well, adjusted and carried on with their lifes, turning lottery winnings to their advantage.  It was described that majority of these huge lottery winners were not living a happy life after a decade or more.  That may be an understatement.  Many expressed that they wish they never won the lottery.  Some said, they were isolated from their family and friends.  Some it seems got addicted to drugs or whatever and died within the decade.

Money as a goal by itself does not seem to be the goal with just this lottery example.  In the context of this, looking at the words from gita, the strong words does seem to make sense.   It is better to die doing what is aligned with ones own nature; or the essence of one, rather doing something that is unnatural though it could be profitable.

Here is the confusions that I have.  Sometimes, it is not clear as to what one's swadharma or essential nature is.  At least, I get confused.  Some work that I do, feels like, it is not my swadharma at all.  There is an expressing, working for the paycheck.  People want early retirement.  On the other hand, I see some working passionately in their late 70s or 80s.  Even though their body is giving up, they don't want to stop their work.  Many of these people have money to retire, and it doesn't seem that they are working for money.

Sometimes we feel that we know what our swadharma is.  Other times it is not clear.  Not knowing what swadharma is, one engages in worldly activities including work.  Working to make money, work that is not in alignment with the person's nature.  There is suffering and misery.  There is a longing for the weekend.  Monday morning anxiety or anxiety or whatever.  Some people watch the clock (nothing wrong in this).  At 5 PM, they get up and leave.  It seems that they were tied to that seat til 5 PM.  At 5:01, it feels like release, freedom, get up and leave.  Is this the right way to live the life.  

On the other side, a grihasta or house holder has duties to perform.  Take care of one's family, provide for them the life style they are used to.  Strive to provide at least.  Therefore invariably, many end up doing what they do not enjoy to make the life style demanded by their circumstances.

Following words of Sivaya Subramu from the book "Merging with Siva", part 1, chapter/lesson 3, 

"When one is bound down by his past karmas, unhappy, confused and not performing with enthusiasm his dharma—be it born or chosen—making new karmas as a result, his lethargy results in despair. The camel walks slower with a heavy burden and stops if the burden is still heavier. The burdened have no sense of urgency, no expression of joy. They have stopped. They are standing on the path holding their troubles in their hands, unwilling and unable to let go. Worship of Lord Gaṇeśa sets the path of dharma. Go to His feet. He alone can perform this miracle for you. He will release the mental and emotional obstructions to spiritual progress. He will remove the burdens of worldliness. "

Many a times it does feel like the camel walking slow with heavy burden that he has described.  He hits the nail (swadharma) with the words "his dharma-be".  Clearly stating that when one performs against his "dharma-be" as he calls it, results in lethargy, despair, etc.  Seems in-line with the words from gita.  The solution presented on the book, is prayer.

Yes, prayer does help.  So does meditation, yoga, etc.  But, even after performing these (may be more time and patience is needed), one is struggling to find what his swadharma is.  Trying to get the balance of performaing according to one's nature (if it is known) and balancing the needs (duties) that one has to perform towards his family & society.

What is the way to find one's swadharma?  What is the right duty for each person?  How does one conclude some work is his swadharma or not?  How to balance it with the duties of a house holder?  The answers to my questions  may already be there on gita itself, may be I can't grasp it.

Would love to hear the views (answers?), from others on this topic...

Reminds me of Shakespeare

“This above all:
to thine own self be true

And it must follow, as the night the day

Thou canst not then be false to any man/Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!”

Not a bad saying.   I give it qualifiers, ie if actions based on 'being true to yourself' have led to good things in the past, keep going, be true to yourself.  If on honest reflection 'being true to yourself' led to self aggrandizing folly, don't; make up a set of intelligent rules and disciplines that set forth a solid path to live by, instead of your native instincts. 

• Like 4

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has a good article on this topic --

http://www.artofliving.org/what-swadharma

Gurudev what is Swadharma, and how do I know what is my Swadharma?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: 

Swadharma is that action which is in accordance with your nature. It is acting in accordance with your skills and talents, your own nature (svabhava), and that which you are responsible for (karma) 

Any action that does not make you feel afraid or restless is Swadharma. That action which you feel compelled to do, without which you feel restless is swadharma.
Now do not misunderstand this and say, ‘I feel restless if I do not drink alcohol’. No! Not at all. 

Every time you feel restless, it not always because of Swadharma. But at the same time not following your swadharma always makes you feel restless. 

That is why it is said in the Bhagavad Gita, ‘Swadharme nidhanam shreyah paradharmo bhayaavahah’ (3.35). 

When we do something without authenticity, just to show off to another person, that is when we feel fear because such action is not genuine, it does not come from the heart. But when we do something that is authentic and from the heart, then there is no fear. 

When someone speaks lies, they definitely feel scared somewhere inside. But someone who speaks the truth does not feel scared at all. In fact speaking the truth and abiding by it brings so much strength to you, isn’t it? This is what Swadharma is. 

When we follow that which comes naturally to us in our life, then it brings abundance and prosperity to us. When we flow in accordance with our nature, we grow from within. Any action that uplifts us is our Swadharma.

Dharma is that which holds the mind, intellect, memory and our inner soul together in harmony. Growth comes when we follow our swadharma.

• Like 1

Reminds me of Shakespeare

“This above all:
to thine own self be true

And it must follow, as the night the day

Thou canst not then be false to any man/Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!”

Not a bad saying.   I give it qualifiers, ie if actions based on 'being true to yourself' have led to good things in the past, keep going, be true to yourself.  If on honest reflection 'being true to yourself' led to self aggrandizing folly, don't; make up a set of intelligent rules and disciplines that set forth a solid path to live by, instead of your native instincts. 

Thank you for providing your insight on the topic.  I see that the poem that you posted rings a bell with the topic of swadharma.

However, I am not sure, if I interpreted or understood it right.

On your comment,  I have a question.  Do you this it is possible by "being true to one's nature" and end up with self aggrandizing follies?  Isn't that the whole point?  By being true to our nature, we go with the flow.  How can that end up in self aggrandizing folly?   Conversely,  I wonder whether it is possible by "not being true to ones nature" and get positive results.  Taking the analogy of bitter gourd once again, can bitter gourd go against it's nature of being bitter, and say, I want to to be sweet, and get positive results?  It is not possible for bitter gourd to go against it's nature or instincts.  This is the protection afforded by nature to plants and animals.  The nature has instilled some instincts in plants and animals.  We do rarely, see some plants or animals that seem to act out of their nature or swadharma, and the consequences were always disastrous in my experience.  In humans, the nature has gifted us with the freedom, to either be harmonious with the world, by being true to our nature, or go against it and face the consequences.  

Here is where the important point that I really need to stress.  There is no "one set" of rule for humans.  When it comes to humans, we are all not bitter gourds.  One size does not fit all.  There is no concrete right or wrong "swadharma" or "inherent true nature"  for humans, in my opinion.  What is swadharma for one human, can be adharma for another.  This is where the question in this post comes from.

Though I appreciate your response so much, my question was not , whether "being true to one's nature" or following "swadharma" will produce positive or negative results.  I have concluded (for me), that following swadharma or acting in one's nature can produce only harmonious results, and going against it is counter productive.  My questions was, how to identify one's swadharma or nature, when we are in confusion, lack the clarity?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has a good article on this topic --

http://www.artofliving.org/what-swadharma

That is a beautiful explanation.  Directly addressing the question that I asked.

I have to confess that I am not a big fan of "Art of Living" based on my own experience with the practitioners and the system.  It doesn't matter.  The quote that you posted has given me some clarity.  May be I will understand it better going forward, when I am mindful of the relation between swadharma and the restlessness as beautifully explained.

Many thanks, for taking the time to read, and post a reply that is so helpful to me. 

Edited by cauvery

Hari Om.

Kaveri, I have seen some beautiful ideas presented in this post of yours. All are relevant points but not seem to be directly answering your query of how to find one's own Swadharma. As you already explained with the bittergourd example, Swadharma is one's own inherent nature. What is inherent nature? Generally our scriptures state that every individual is a combination of the three gunas namely Satwa, Rajas and Tamas in different proportions. This difference in constitution of the personality with varying proportions of Satwa, Rajas and Tamas is what is said to be our Swadharma. In olden days based on this gunas, the four varnas called the Brahmana, Kshatriya, Vaishya and Shudra were formed. These do not in any way mean the caste system as has been wrongly advertised by the British colonial rule to divide and rule India. A Brahmana is one who is introverted and seeks the ultimate Truth called Brahman in and through all his activities which include performance of duties without expectation of the fruits of action. The Swadharma of a true Brahmin who is rich in Satwa guna was to study the holy scriptures, follow a simple life free from Ego, desires and greed, work towards the benefit and welfare of the society by upholding noble and wise ways of living as enshrined in the holy scriptures. The next class called Kshatriyas, the warrior class, who had more Rajas guna in them. They became leaders of the kingdom and took to administration work of the kingdom. The next were the Vaishyas, the business class, who had more rajas and Tamas in them. Naturally they took to business and made wealth and comfortable living. The fourth class of people are the Shudras who were more Tamasic and hence took to farming and hard labour which gave them both work and relaxed cum entertaining life free from other responsibilities. Whatever be their guna which is God's creation, people were ready to apply it for the benefit and welfare of the society that maintained harmonious living in the society. None of the four classes were superior to each other since all the four knew that they were interdependent for their existence. Not only that, by doing their swadharma alone they were able to achieve heights of spiritual evolution. Satwa (Satwic) guna represents clear thinking based on noble virtues, selfless service and sacrifice. Satwa is genuine wisdom that helps in knowing the truth and realities of life. Satwa guna comprises of actions, perceptions, emotions and thinking which are progressively evolutionary for both the individual and the society, calm and composed living, Humility, etc. Rajasa (Rajasic) guna is full of action and pleasure seeking. Rajasa guna mistakes unreal world and its experiences to be real. Rajasic guna is a higher intermediate state than the Tamasic guna. Rajasic guna is full of desires and passion. The best of Rajas is unselfishness which is next only to selfless attitude. Life of a youth is a typical example of Rajasic guna. Tamasa (Tamasic) guna is the lowest of the three gunas which is nothing but steeped in ignorance. Tamas manifest as indifference, laziness, complacency and utmost selfcentred cum selfish egoism to such an extent that the individual kills others for his personal wellbeing. Tamas is arrogance, hatred, confusion, stealth, bigotry, disgraceful living and devolutionary or self destructive activities.

Acting on swadharma is nothing but performance of Karma Yoga, Bhakthi Yoga and Gnan Yoga according to the individual composition of the personality. Those who are predominantly physical must take to Karma Yoga. Those who are predominantly emotional must take to Bhakthi Yoga and those who are predominantly intellectual must take to Gnana Yoga.This is done this way so that their predominant desires are given a direction and are used for a higher cause of Self Realization. By this the individual gradually gets freed from the Ego and desires of the Mind and finally achieves the ultimate purpose of this human birth and existence called Self Realization through meditation. This is the message of Srimad Bhagavad Gita and Vedanta philosophy.

One can find out one's own swadharma by spending some time like 5 to 10 minutes on introspection over the days activities just before going to bed in the night, by reflecting in the early morning and some time during the day for finding out the areas of interests or passion in life. Some may be able administrators. Some may be good intellectuals. Some may be artists. Some may be service oriented. Some may be business minded. Some may be nationalistic. Some others may be totally disinterested and lead an introverted life studying scriptures. Some may be a combination two or more of these. It all once again depends on the fundamental composition of the personality.

Edited by Prasanna
  • Like 1

Though I appreciate your response so much, my question was not , whether "being true to one's nature" or following "swadharma" will produce positive or negative results.  I have concluded (for me), that following swadharma or acting in one's nature can produce only harmonious results, and going against it is counter productive.  My questions was, how to identify one's swadharma or nature, when we are in confusion, lack the clarity?

One can find out one's own swadharma by spending some time like 5 to 10 minutes on introspection over the days activities just before going to bed in the night, by reflecting in the early morning and some time during the day for finding out the areas of interests or passion in life. Some may be able administrators. Some may be good intellectuals. Some may be artists. Some may be service oriented. Some may be business minded. Some may be nationalistic. Some others may be totally disinterested and lead an introverted life studying scriptures. Some may be a combination two or more of these. It all once again depends on the fundamental composition of the personality.

Life can lead us on a crooked path.  We tend to base our swadharma on wishful thinking, based on a model we admire.  Which is very understandable.  What I was pointing out and the practice Prasanna mentions is introspection.  Getting away from intellectualizing and seeing if your actions are indeed bringing harmony or if you're creating friction by following an idealized path imperfectly instead of your own.  

There are those who assume the role of holy man and leave a swath of destruction in there wake.  Or with less drama, a string of failures, because they're not following the correct swadharma.  'How are you?', 'How's life going?' these simple questions are pointers for one's true nature. 

The world can be a mirror, we don't need to imagine what we look like, just look closely at our behavior and the fruits from it. 

• Like 1