Sign in to follow this  
stefos

Hermetic order of the Golden Dawn or any magickal order....Why is magick used?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input.

I understand what Levi said but not what he meant.

Furthermore, what is "up" with Israel Regardie please?

Has anyone heard positive things about this man?

I know he died in the 80's and I picked up his "Tree of Life" book actually.

A legitimate branch of the HOGD was started by a certain Chick Cicero who had corresponce & friendship with

Mr. Regardie.

The above point is what I want insight into.

Thank you,

Stefos

Chuck Cicero wrote a couple of books one's a self initiation 'how to' sort of guide.

Regardie, like Alan Watts came up via the Theosophists a group who pop up in connection with just about everything mystical and then some.

They started Buddhism interest and organised activities here in England.

I have been acquainted with the writings of Israel Regardie for about 45 years. Nothing in them gives me the impression that he “came up via the Theosophists”. In point of fact early on he was strongly interested in Aleister Crowley and even left the U. S. about the age of twenty to join Crowley in England and worked for many years as his private secretary. He became dissatisfied with Crowley and joined the Stella Matutina, which was the primary offshoot of the Golden Dawn after the “Great Schism” of 1900. It was in the Stella Matutina that Regardie became familiar with the original Golden Dawn Material, rather than Crowley's version of it. It was this material that he published in his The Golden Dawn. In the 40s he learned Chiropractic and that became his profession. He later combined this with the teachings of Wilhelm Reich and considered these to be a good combination. In the mid 60s he studied laboratory alchemy with Frater Albertus who founded the Paracelsus Research Society and was the author of several books. Through his worldwide teaching activity Frater Albertus was largely the driving force behind the late Twentieth Century revival of laboratory alchemy. Regardie was not particularly active publicly in Occultism until the Occult Revival of the late 60s and early 70s brought him and his works back into a spotlight of sorts.

Around 1980 he became acquainted with the New Zealanders Pat Zaleski and his wife, who claimed to be representatives of the last remaining Stella Matutina lodge which had been founded by Dr. Felkin, an early Golden Dawn member and one of the principles of the Stella Matutina when Felkin emigrated to New Zealand. It was with the Zaleskis that Regardie restarted the Golden Dawn. After Regardie's death there was a series of schisms with the result that there are now several organizations claiming status as a “legitimate” Golden Dawn.

my understanding is that Chic Cicero and his wife Tabitha were longtime associates of Dr. Thomas Head of Atlanta, GA USA, a gentleman of Regardie's generation whom I believe is deceased. Regardie knew and respected Dr. Head and the Ciceros. They are generally considered to be the most representative of the tradition. I don't know them personally and am not involved in anyway with any present or past revivals of the Golden Dawn, though one person who was working with Regardie at the time of the revival did invite me to participate. I declined at the time and have no regrets for having done so.

Regarding the Ciceros, all I can say about them aside from positive hearsay, is based on their books and those which I have read I consider to be good introductions to Golden Dawn material and its practice. If anyone is interested in such matters they can benefit from reading them.

I consider Israel Regardie to be of great importance in the Twentieth Century revival of magic. He emerged from his experiences with Crowley both unscathed and enriched. His works take the best that Crowley has to offer and leave the dross. They are are both valuable and interesting. In having the courage to publish the Golden Dawn material he did all who follow him an inestimable service.

Changed Golden Material to Golden Dawn material

Edited by Zhongyongdaoist

Whether Regardie left the dross is questionable.

Here is two letters to Israel Regardie, uttering some concern:

http://kcbventures.c...nts/letter1.pdf

http://kcbventures.c...nts/letter2.pdf

Some criticize him for having broken the oath to keep secret the golden dawn teachings.

I am not about to judge that decision. It certainly made a difference and brought about responsability.

There is an interview of his "pupil" Christopher Hyatt with him:

http://de.scribd.com...ughts-and-Views

I understand what Levi said but not what he meant.

That's an honest answer. If you ponder the statements, some unique meaning - fitting to your life and concepts of it - will emerge.

Often the magic in the most fundamental traits of human life is overlooked.

Edited by d'avid

Sign in to follow this