Sign in to follow this  
Thunder_Gooch

Need Advice On Starting A Taoist/Buddhist Center/Group.

...then I head off to meditate a few hours before I sleep...

If you're already able to still the body and mind in lotus for a few hours every night to do your neigong, you're already putting in enough time for the foundation. In time you should be able to add another session in the morning before work. I had a teacher who worked full time and still managed to put in a combined 10-12 hours a day of taiji and neigong, of course he only slept 2 hours - but when you're gaining so much energy from your practice that's more than enough. He said he only slept because that was a cultivation too!

10 hours is rough on a full-time schedule (my teacher luckily happened to have a very accommodating wife) but 6 should be a realistic goal. Even 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the night would build a nice foundation.

Re: Teaching qigong - great idea - just make sure you are actually experienced enough to teach it. If I had a dollar for everyone, regardless of experience level, that has told me they were starting to teach qigong I would have more money than I actually make from teaching qigong. I had one guy who took just one workshop from me and started "teaching". This is how nonsense gets started. If you have the comfort level of energy manipulation, understand its implications, and really want to teach I say go for it, more people need to be exposed to qigong.

Re: Non-profit - A non-profit means just that. You mention taking in things to sell as ebay thrift to support yourself so you do know (?) that would be separate from the "temple" or whatever you call it. Beware of ego pitfalls in being THE guy that heads this organization.

Someone mentioned in the thread for you to start smaller as a teacher. I agree.

Follow the path of heart at each given moment with no plans and you will arrive at where you wish to be.

Further thoughts:

Have you considered the path of the healer? I know you said you don't like people but this path could allow you to work your own hours as well as help develop compassion for others.

I spoke with an attorney this afternoon regarding this idea. I was advised it would be a huge liability, and due to the super Christian conservative population in my area I would probably be looking at constant vandalism, and harassment. I guess he is probably right.

It was an interesting thought however.

Sign in to follow this