Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

I've decided to give up diet soda

Ha ha! You want a habit, try to smoke every hour and a half to two hours for ten years every waking day. Now that's a habit. But look at all the old grandmas who've quit.

If you want to quit, do it today. No more talking, planning, etc. Just do it. For two weeks.

Unless you like being a slave to an inanimate chemical and live your life on a leash... I sure didn't.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and insightful replies. I think I will try to drink more water and be more aware of my cravings. It's just that a habit that has been reinforced for more than 10 years is hard to break. Oops! There I go again with thinking "hard".

Update: today was my first full day without diet soda in at least two years. During the day, I experienced strong psychological cravings and very powerful physical withdrawal. But I am glad to say that I've done it...at least for today.

I think what helped me was that I mentally rehearsed resisting the cravings the day before. I imagined myself experiencing the cravings and resisting them.

I'm glad I did this, because during the day I felt much calmer than before.

Update: today was my first full day without diet soda in at least two years. During the day, I experienced strong psychological cravings and very powerful physical withdrawal. But I am glad to say that I've done it...at least for today.

Congratulations, IC! May today go just as well!

(I'm following your thread with interest as my bro is totally addicted to the stuff. Me? "Just" sugar and caffeine.)
Re addictions, from a sometime chocaholic (Once known by everyone to have chocolate on her person at all times!) After a two week vegetable juice fast, I honestly couldn't summon any interest in chocolate at all. Nada. Why would I put that stuff in my mouth? So amazing to experience that kind of change, and I send prayers for the same for you with the aspartame soda.

All the best,

PS Check out Janet Starr Hull on the web. She's onto the aspartame addiction thing, and probably lots of good tips for kicking it in her forums. Edited by cheya

Sign in to follow this