Sign in to follow this  
The Genuine Article

Taoism/Buddhism

As far as Taoism and Buddhism goes where exactly should i begin my studies?

Should i start by readin Tao Te Ching, I Ching

personally whenever i want to know about a subject i always try yo find the source(history of it)

as far as Buddhism i have heard of the dhammapada (are there any other books)and whwere do i find sutras such as the diamond sutra?

personally whenever i want to know about a subject i always try yo find the source(history of it)

as far as Buddhism i have heard of the dhammapada (are there any other books)and whwere do i find sutras such as the diamond sutra?

If you are interested in mahayana and vajrayana Buddhism you could try here:

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/index.html

To answer your last question first, "The Genuine Article":

Obtaining the general printed works is easy when one has access to the internet and sufficient funds with which to purchase their wares. There are many broad spectrum booksellers similar to Amazon Dot Com, and specialty publishers such as Wisdom Publications and Shambhala who maintain their own websites. I would recommend obtaining at least one work, pertaining to Taoism and/or Buddhism, by the Author/Translator Dr. Thomas Cleary for the excellent historical background information they contain.

I would start with D.C. Lao's translation of the Tao Teh Ching, known in some circles as the "legalist version."

To me this translation is a must-have "reference point." Do not hesitate to obtain other translator's versions of the Tao Teh Ching. (I personally have 12 translations)

Add to the Tao Teh Ching a translation of Chuang Tsu as a guide.

Chuang Tsu would provide a good perspective so that one does not fall into the trap of taking one's self too seriously.

The I Ching and the Art of War are, to my mind, necessary as well, and not for the reasons that many novices would initially consider. I shall expand further, later.

For the study of Buddhism in general, the Dhammapada is a must have. Like the Tao Teh Ching obtain many translations. While I have Miamoto Musashi's "The Book of Five Rings" as part of "my essential" Zen collection others, of course, may have different perspectives. Buddhism is a not my strong point.

My personal perpectives:

an opinionated point of view

concerning;

the lone student of the Tao,

i.e.,

the "Tao of the Hap-Hazard Way,"

===

Please note that the following is not meant to disparage other sages or other philosophies that may help us to stay on the path by their lack of mention, nor is one to consider it as ultimate or complete authority.

===

The Tao Teh Ching is a general guide line to living one's life under varying circumstances and capacities. The study of the Tao requires a great deal of introspection, for the "mysterious" Tao is experiential. Yet for a novice with little or no access to others or a study group, oft times the Tao Teh Ching is simply not enough.

Chuang Tzu helps a great deal with maintaining one's perspective and the prevention of outbursts of the "all-too-serious" cryptic "mono-syllabic-utterances" that, to others, may appear as in-comprehensible and often they are. Chuang Tsu adds flavor to and aids in the digestion of the study of the Tao.

The "Art of War" by Sun Tzu is a Taoist work that all too many mis-interpret, because of its title alone. Avoiding the impulse of not judging a book by its cover, many pass it by. In reality the Art of War teaches the art of "Conflict Resolution." A study of the work and its application in real life places the practitioner in the position of a skilled negotiator. The Art of War provides great insight of the recognition of how one is being manipulated by others and ways to avoid same; it is not a how-to for "fighters."

The I Ching is considered by all too many as simply a fortune telling oracle, it is in fact presented as such by many translator/authors. The I Ching is vastly more that this for it provides an expanded template of living one's life in accord with the Way. The lessons that the I Ching has to offer are manifold and appear initially as cryptic; Yet much in keeping with the Tao Teh Ching these lessons are to be pondered upon in the privacy of one's own mind as one attempts to walk the path.

Even with the wealth of knowledge and wisdom presented by the above named Taoist works there comes a time when it would be useful to have a "how-to" or "What am I doing wrong" manual. This is where I have found that the Dhammapada, especially the section known as the "Twin Verses," from Buddhism provides just such a "tool kit" for personal growth. Other helpful areas from Buddhist philosophy that I have found of great use have as their source, Zen Buddhism.

Earlier I has spoken of the Art of War as a conflict resolution methodology. But what is one to do and how is one to proceed when: the effluent impacts upon the high mass acceleration, angularly rotating, ventilation device; one's back is against the wall and, there is no escape? It is in times such as these that one would really find the knowledge born of experience of a "how to fight" manual most useful. Mind you that I do not speak of participating in violent thoughts, for that is in itself a corruption of the Way, One finds such non-thought, leading to right action in time of crisis, in the guide book for same of course! Here is where the work of Miamoto Musashi, "The Book of Five Rings," comes to one's aid.

Yet there is one aspect that binds all of the above with a single thread, introspection. Introspection and reflection is at the root of the type of lifestyle that the Way represents. This reflective lifestyle is not the New Year's Resolution but it is the dedicated, daily, or even moment-by-moment, reflection that many in the Western World find a great difficulty in implementing. The practice of meditation is a key component to one who would pause and examine their travels along the Way. There exist many manuals and books of instruction concerning meditation from various perspectives, choose wisely.

In summary, the Tao Teh Ching shows us the general Way to living our lives, Chuang Tzu helps us maintain a realistic perspective of ourselves, Sun Tsu instructs us about being manipulated by others, the I Ching broadens our personal internal lessons of the Way, The Dhammapada's Twin Versus is our "personal" tool kit, and Miamoto Musashi keeps us from being ravaged by ne'er do wells.

ARRg

Sign in to follow this