Pranaman

Intermittent Fasting and Daily Training

Yesterday I started intermittent fasting for the health, longevity, and muscle/fat advantages. at Leangains, who I believe I credit to Vajrasattva for recommending, he speaks of increasing carb intake on workout days, and protein on off days. The thing is I train everyday, no weights. But I do bodyweight workouts and standing. You can see where my question is. I'm also curious if people have results, or opinions on martial training with IF. thank you all

Yesterday I started intermittent fasting for the health, longevity, and muscle/fat advantages. at Leangains, who I believe I credit to Vajrasattva for recommending, he speaks of increasing carb intake on workout days, and protein on off days. The thing is I train everyday, no weights. But I do bodyweight workouts and standing. You can see where my question is. I'm also curious if people have results, or opinions on martial training with IF. thank you all

Intermittent fasting is a good idea for many, per my research, but not for all. People who are prone to blood sugar fluctuations are better off eating frequently, in small portions, and without lengthy intervals between meals. (If you are one of those people, you will have noticed mood fluctuations around your food intake.)

Increased carbs on workout days and protein on off days is a recipe for building muscle mass. It that's the goal, you are better off practicing every other day rather than every day, because muscle mass is acquired most efficiently while you're at rest after having had your workout. If you work out every day, the signals to grow muscles will be coming in continuously but the time for the body to actually act on these signals spreads over the next 48 hours, with the bulk of the events happening during sleep when you get your peak HGH release, and bombarding it with new signals has the opposite effect, decreasing the efficiency of this process. Of course if muscle mass is not what you're after, you can practice every day. My taiji teacher who has been practicing every day for decades has no muscle mass to show for it... of course strength is another matter, he is strong in every possible sense, including the fact he has never been sick in his life and doesn't seem to know what "tired" means.